1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this trig identity

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(1 + cosθ) / (1 - cosθ) = (1 + secθ) / (secθ - 1)

2. Relevant equations

using only the quotient identities, pythagorean identities, and reciprocal identities

3. The attempt at a solution

didnt know where to start...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Start on the right side.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

lol Mark44.

Key word is reciprocal identity, and this should be obvious since [itex]cos\theta[/itex] is the reciprocal of [itex]sec\theta[/itex] and vice versa.

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4
    kk got it.

RS
    =(1 + secθ) / (secθ - 1)
    =(1 + 1/cosθ) / (1/cosθ - 1)
    =([cosθ+1] / cosθ) / ([1-cosθ] / cosθ)
    =[(cosθ+1)(cosθ)] / [(1-cosθ)(cosθ)]
    cancel cosθ
    =(1 + cosθ) / (1 - cosθ)

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5
    oh wow, all these question are so easy now, thanks for the advice about the reciprocal.

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

No problem :smile:

I remember starting off with trig identities... I would have to say that was the hardest and most stressful topic to learn. If you don't have someone like your teacher to help you out with those, you can get lost in a question for hours! Well, at least thats what me and a few of my friends did.

It all comes to you eventually with much practice on this topic though. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook