Need help with this Triple Integral

Homework Statement

Triple Integral (x^6e^y)dV bounded by z=1-y^2 z=0 x=-1 x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I chose to try to integrate this in the order dydzdx
My bounds for the dy integral were from zero to (1-z)^(1/2)
my bounds for the dz integral were from 0 to 1
and my bounds for the dx integral were from -1 to 1.

I did the whole crazy integral and got 2/7 which my online thing is saying is wrong X_x doh...

Do these bounds look correct?

Answers and Replies

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm not sure which integration region is meant here, because it sounds not very well defined. I guess, it's meant to integrate over a "paraboloic tunnel-like volume" between [itex]x=-1[/itex] and [itex]x=1[/itex] and from [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itex]z=1-y^2 > 0[/itex]. This implies that also [itex]y \in [-1,1][/itex]. Then your integral would read
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} y \int_0^{1-y^2} \mathrm{d} z x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
Perhaps this gives the correct result?

yes, I believe it does. What would the integral look like if I evaluated dydzdx? would y go from 0 to (1-z)^(1/2) and z go from 0 to 1?

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hm, if you want to do the [itex]y[/itex] integral first (which I'd consider a bad idea if I think about it ;-)), then for each [itex]z \in [0,1][/itex] it should run in [itex]y \in [-\sqrt{1-z},\sqrt{1-z}][/itex]. Then the integral would be
[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_0^1 \mathrm{d} z \int_{-\sqrt{1-z}}^{\sqrt{1-z}} \mathrm{d} y \; x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
Mathematica tells me that this gives the same result as it should be, but after the [itex]y[/itex] integral which is a bit easier in this way, the [itex]z[/itex] integral looks pretty cumbersome!