1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with this Triple Integral

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Triple Integral (x^6e^y)dV bounded by z=1-y^2 z=0 x=-1 x=1

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I chose to try to integrate this in the order dydzdx
    My bounds for the dy integral were from zero to (1-z)^(1/2)
    my bounds for the dz integral were from 0 to 1
    and my bounds for the dx integral were from -1 to 1.

I did the whole crazy integral and got 2/7 which my online thing is saying is wrong X_x doh...

Do these bounds look correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure which integration region is meant here, because it sounds not very well defined. I guess, it's meant to integrate over a "paraboloic tunnel-like volume" between [itex]x=-1[/itex] and [itex]x=1[/itex] and from [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itex]z=1-y^2 > 0[/itex]. This implies that also [itex]y \in [-1,1][/itex]. Then your integral would read
    [tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} y \int_0^{1-y^2} \mathrm{d} z x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
    Perhaps this gives the correct result?

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    yes, I believe it does. What would the integral look like if I evaluated dydzdx? would y go from 0 to (1-z)^(1/2) and z go from 0 to 1?

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hm, if you want to do the [itex]y[/itex] integral first (which I'd consider a bad idea if I think about it ;-)), then for each [itex]z \in [0,1][/itex] it should run in [itex]y \in [-\sqrt{1-z},\sqrt{1-z}][/itex]. Then the integral would be
    [tex]\int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} x \int_0^1 \mathrm{d} z \int_{-\sqrt{1-z}}^{\sqrt{1-z}} \mathrm{d} y \; x^6 \exp y.[/tex]
    Mathematica tells me that this gives the same result as it should be, but after the [itex]y[/itex] integral which is a bit easier in this way, the [itex]z[/itex] integral looks pretty cumbersome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted