Need help with TI-89 Titanium

1. Hi,

I'm working out some problems on my TI-89 Titanium, and I've run into a roadblock.

How do I put a base for a log?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. ln(thing you want the log of) / ln(base of the log)

As far as I know, that's the only way to do it on a TI. but it's not hard.

4. That's the way I do it; just the standard log change of base formula. So ln(2) is just the log of 2, and ln(2)/ln(10) is log of 2, base 10. You can also see that ln(2)/ln(e), the base e log which is the natural log, will be just ln(2) since ln(e) evaluates to 1.

5. I borrow this thread a little if its okey..
    I got a problem with mine TI-89.
    Whay I want to calculate a root i press "diamond + 9 + x + , + y + enter" which should give me x^1/y. But all i get is what i just pressed, i.e. the answer i get is root(x,y). :confused:
    Please help me.

6. To find a root of x, use the zeros() function. Type zeros(expression,variable), or, alternatively, solve(equation,variable), when the equation is the same expression but set to zero, and the variable is x.

zeros(4x^2+3x+5,x) or solve(4x^2+3x+5=0,x) returns the roots.

7. Okey, but do you know where the problem for the root function could lie?
    Could it be any setting?

EDIT: The problem was that I had changed languege... It now works again.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  8. another way to do log is to log(number, base)

9. That doesn't work for me.

10. I think he has one of those Apps like Omnicalc to upgrade the features kind of. That's also one way you can do it, just with a comma. Change of base requires a little more typing.

11. if you press the yellow Diamond button and then press 7 then log will show up. much less typing for all you lazy people like me

12. i.e. solve(log(x,8)=2/3,x)

x=4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?