Train Acceleration Problem: Finding Final Car Velocity at 190m Distance

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary: Then add that speed to the initial speed 19 m/s to obtain the final speed.In summary, to solve this problem, you need to calculate the rate of acceleration and use it to determine the additional speed gained over 90 meters. This additional speed is then added to the initial speed of 19 m/s to obtain the final speed of the last car as it passes the railway worker.
confusedaboutphysics
hey could someone tell me how to start this problem? i don't know which formula I'm suppose to use..

A 90 m long train begins uniform acceleration from rest. The front of the train has a speed of 19 m/s when it passes a railway worker who is standing 190 m from where the front of the train started. What will be the speed of the last car as it passes the worker?

is the velocity 19 m/s? and the distance is 190 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
iS IT GIVEN that the train accelerates or deccelerates? if none of these , then velocity should remain same.

BJ

confusedaboutphysics said:
hey could someone tell me how to start this problem? i don't know which formula I'm suppose to use..

A 90 m long train begins uniform acceleration from rest. The front of the train has a speed of 19 m/s when it passes a railway worker who is standing 190 m from where the front of the train started. What will be the speed of the last car as it passes the worker?

is the velocity 19 m/s? and the distance is 190 m?
You need to calculate the rate of acceleration using the speed at 190 meters. Then calculate the speed at 190 + 90 = 280 meters by answering the question "how much additional speed will the train gain when it accelerates over 90 meters?"

1. How do I calculate the speed of a train?

To calculate the speed of a train, you need to know the distance it travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, use the formula speed = distance/time to find the train's speed.

2. What is the maximum speed a train can reach?

The maximum speed of a train depends on various factors such as the type of train, track conditions, and safety regulations. However, the fastest train, the Shanghai Maglev, can reach speeds of up to 267 mph.

3. How does train signaling work?

Train signaling is a communication system that uses signals and trackside devices to control train movements and ensure safety. The signals indicate when it is safe for a train to proceed, stop, or change tracks.

4. What is the difference between a freight train and a passenger train?

A freight train is used for transporting goods and materials, while a passenger train is used for transporting people. Freight trains are usually longer and heavier than passenger trains and often travel at slower speeds.

5. How do I troubleshoot common train problems?

Common train problems can include mechanical issues, signal failures, or track obstructions. To troubleshoot, identify the problem and follow safety protocols. If necessary, contact the train conductor or emergency services for assistance.