1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with train problem

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    hey could someone tell me how to start this problem? i dont know which formula i'm suppose to use..

A 90 m long train begins uniform acceleration from rest. The front of the train has a speed of 19 m/s when it passes a railway worker who is standing 190 m from where the front of the train started. What will be the speed of the last car as it passes the worker?

is the velocity 19 m/s? and the distance is 190 m?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2
    iS IT GIVEN that the train accelerates or deccelerates??? if none of these , then velocity should remain same.

4. Sep 17, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to calculate the rate of acceleration using the speed at 190 meters. Then calculate the speed at 190 + 90 = 280 meters by answering the question "how much additional speed will the train gain when it accelerates over 90 meters?"
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?