• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Need help with train problem

hey could someone tell me how to start this problem? i dont know which formula i'm suppose to use..

A 90 m long train begins uniform acceleration from rest. The front of the train has a speed of 19 m/s when it passes a railway worker who is standing 190 m from where the front of the train started. What will be the speed of the last car as it passes the worker?

is the velocity 19 m/s? and the distance is 190 m?

Answers and Replies

iS IT GIVEN that the train accelerates or deccelerates??? if none of these , then velocity should remain same.

BJ

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
confusedaboutphysics said:
hey could someone tell me how to start this problem? i dont know which formula i'm suppose to use..

A 90 m long train begins uniform acceleration from rest. The front of the train has a speed of 19 m/s when it passes a railway worker who is standing 190 m from where the front of the train started. What will be the speed of the last car as it passes the worker?

is the velocity 19 m/s? and the distance is 190 m?
You need to calculate the rate of acceleration using the speed at 190 meters. Then calculate the speed at 190 + 90 = 280 meters by answering the question "how much additional speed will the train gain when it accelerates over 90 meters?"