How Do You Solve Trigonometric Equations Involving Cosine and Sine?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a trigonometric equation in the interval 0 <= x <= 2pi. The steps involved included using common identities and the quadratic formula to reduce the equation to a simpler form and solve for x.
andrelutz001
Hi All,
I’m currently attempting to work ahead on my precalculs and I’m looking at trigonometric equations.

I seem to have a bit of a problem with this example (i haven’t had too many issues with the rest of the exercises),
9cos(2x)+sin(x)=9 (solve for x in the interval 0 <=x <=2pi.)
I’m thinking that I could move 9 on the other side and hence the equation will equal to 1:
cos(2x)+sin(x)=9/9
cos(2x)+sin(x)=1

I know that cos(2x)=cos2x-sin2x and than the equation should look like this:
cos2x-sin2x+sin(x)=1
Am i on the right track? What is the next step form here?
Thank you in advance.
Andrei

Physics news on Phys.org
andrelutz001 said:
Hi All,
I’m currently attempting to work ahead on my precalculs and I’m looking at trigonometric equations.

I seem to have a bit of a problem with this example (i haven’t had too many issues with the rest of the exercises),
9cos(2x)+sin(x)=9 (solve for x in the interval 0 <=x <=2pi.)
I’m thinking that I could move 9 on the other side and hence the equation will equal to 1:
cos(2x)+sin(x)=9/9

cos(2x)+sin(x)=1

I know that cos(2x)=cos2x-sin2x and than the equation should look like this:
cos2x-sin2x+sin(x)=1
Am i on the right track? What is the next step form here?
Thank you in advance.
Andrei

Woa be careful what you do there; If you are going to divide by 9, make sure you divide EVERYTHING by 9, so it becomes:

cos(2x) + (1/9)sin(x)=1

Anyway, other than that, i would probably proceed in the same way as you did. With these types of questions, it is often easiest to reduce the equation to a form such that only one type of trig function is present. Can you see how a common identity can be used to further reduce the equation down to one with only sine's? What common type of equation does this then resemble?

Thank you for replaying danago.

That definitely helps. So after dividing everything by 9 I’m getting:
cos(2x)+1/9sin(x)=1
I can use the double angle formula to reduce the equation to one type of trig function, hence:
1-2sin^2(x)+1/9sin(x)=1
-sin^2(x)+1/9sin(x)=0
And i now have a quadratic equation type 2x^2+(1/9)x
I can use the quadratic formula and I’m nearly done.

Many thanks.

Two comments:
When you write cos(2x)+1/9sin(x)=1, some people might (incorrectly) take the sine term to be 1/(9sin(x)). You can write this more clearly as 1/9 * sin(x).

You can use the quadratic formula to solve -sin^2(x)+1/9sin(x)=0, but it's quicker and simpler just to factor sin(x) from each term to get sin(x)(-sin(x) + 1/9) = 0, and then set each factor to 0 to solve for sin(x) and then x.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or side lengths in a right triangle, or to model periodic phenomena in mathematics and science.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions. This involves using algebraic manipulations, substitution, and the unit circle to simplify the equation and find the solution. It is important to pay attention to the domain and range of the functions to ensure that the solution is valid.

3. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and the reciprocal identities. It is also helpful to sketch the graphs of the trigonometric functions to visualize the solutions.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. Make sure to use the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to round your answers to the appropriate number of decimal places. However, it is important to also understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand.

5. Why do I need to learn how to solve trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used in many applications, such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They also provide a deeper understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions and their relationships. Learning how to solve these equations is an important skill for any scientist or mathematician.