Need help with two simple proofs

• Thread starter eku_girl83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the person discussing this problem failed to provide a proof or counterexample for the statement that for all real numbers x and y, if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than zero, then y^x is greater than x. They did provide a proof that if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than 1, then y^x is greater than x.
eku_girl83
Here's my problem:
Provide either a proof or a counterexample for each of these statements.
a) For all real numbers x and y, if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than zero, then y^x is greater than x.

My proof:
Suppose x is some real number greater than 1 and y is some real number greater than 0.
Suppose x=2 and y=1/4.
Then y^x=(1/4)^2=1/16 and 1/16=y^x is less than x=2.
Now suppose that x=3 and y=2.
Then y^x=2^3=8 and 8=y^x is greater than x=3.
Hence if x is greater than 1 and 0 less than y less than or equal to 1, then y^x is less than or equal to x.
But if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than 1, then y^x is greater than x.
Therefore the statement "if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than 0, then y^x is greater than x" is not true for all real numbers x and y.

Is this a good proof? How can I improve it or make it clearer?

b) For integers a, b, c, if a divides bc, then either a divides b or a divides c.

I'm not really sure where to go with this one, so hints would be welcome.
I do know that if a divides bc, then bc=ak, where k is a natural number.
Similarly, a divides b means that b=aj and a divides c means that c=ai, where j and i are also natural numbers.
Which proof techinique do I use here? contradiction, contraposition, or direct proof?

Thanks ahead of time,
eku_girl83

Physics news on Phys.org
your first proof looks solid ..
what u have done is simply give a counter example
u could have chosen some simpler values say,
x=2 and y=0.1 so (0.1)^2 = 0.01 < 2
QED

your second is again a counterexample one,
a = 12 b = 4 and c=6
QED

-- AI

1) A proof is something that must be true for all x and y satisfying those constraints.
So ypu've not proven the statement. You have found a counter example. I do'nt understand why after finding a counter example you do something else too.
Your deduction

"But if x is greater than 1 and y is greater than 1, then y^x is greater than x."

based upon those two examples is also not true.

2) do you think it's true? hint that is sometimes used as a definition for what it means fo a to be a prime.

if u ask me
a proof is either the one that validates the statement or invalidates it

so i still accept that as a proof.

Usuall such questions are tagged with,
" prove or disprove blah blah blah..."

-- AI

It asked for a proof that the statement is true or a counter example.
thus we may take the posters use of the word "proof" to indicate proving it true, when they post a counter example instead. (Ie prove it false), but the usage of the word is poor, and confusing, especially given that after giving a counter example, they then "prove" using one example a false statement.

1. What is a proof in science?

A proof in science is a logical and systematic method of demonstrating the validity of a hypothesis or theory. It involves using evidence, experiments, and reasoning to support a claim or statement.

2. Why are proofs important in science?

Proofs are important in science because they provide a way to test and validate scientific theories and ideas. They help to establish the credibility and reliability of scientific claims and provide a basis for further research and experimentation.

3. How do you construct a proof?

To construct a proof, you need to start with a hypothesis or theory and then gather evidence and data to support it. This evidence can be obtained through experiments, observations, or other scientific methods. You then use logical reasoning to connect the evidence to your hypothesis and draw conclusions.

4. What are the key elements of a proof?

The key elements of a proof include a clearly stated hypothesis or theory, relevant and reliable evidence, logical reasoning, and a conclusion that is supported by the evidence. It is also important to consider any potential limitations or alternative explanations for the results.

5. How do you know if a proof is valid?

A valid proof in science is one that is based on accurate and reliable evidence, follows logical and systematic reasoning, and leads to a conclusion that is supported by the evidence. It should also be able to withstand scrutiny and be replicable by other scientists.