1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with vector dynamics problems

1. Nov 1, 2004 #1
    1) What is the maximum acceleration a car can undergo on a level ground if the static coefficient of friction between the tires and the ground is 0.55?

I have no idea on how to start this problem. It seems there is not enough information.

2) A city planner is working on the redesign of a hilly portion of a city. An important consideration is how steep the roads can be so that even small cars can get up the hills without slowing down. It is given that a particular small car, with a mass of 1000kg can accelerate on the level from rest to 14m/s in 8.0s. Using this figure, calculate the maximum steepness of a hill.

If you guys can help me start this problem, i should be able to finish it on my own.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2004 #2

In case of your first problem,you know that the maximum force is propotional to normal force and for static friction it is given as:
    [tex]F_{max} ={\mu}_{s} * N [/tex]
    and
    [tex]F_{max} = m * a [/tex]
    [tex] N = m * g [/tex]
    putting these equations in the first one you can calculate maximum acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?