How Do I Graph the Vector Function r(t)=t^2i + t^3j?

• Thread starter stau40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the graph of the vector valued function r(t)=t^2i + t^3j is a curve that passes through the origin and has a parabolic shape.
stau40

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve given by the vector valued function r(t)=t^2i + t^3j, -infinity<t<infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused with how to graph it when it's not two separate values separated with a comma. Am I allowed to plug in a t value for t^2 to get the x coordinate then plug in the same t value for t^3 to get the y coordinate?

Physics news on Phys.org
stau40 said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the curve given by the vector valued function r(t)=t^2i + t^3j, -infinity<t<infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused with how to graph it when it's not two separate values separated with a comma. Am I allowed to plug in a t value for t^2 to get the x coordinate then plug in the same t value for t^3 to get the y coordinate?
Sure. Each point on the graph of this function corresponds to a particular value of t, so when t = 0, for example, you get the point (0, 0).

1. What is vector sketching?

Vector sketching is the process of creating digital drawings using mathematical equations and lines instead of pixels. This allows for images to be scaled infinitely without losing quality.

2. How is vector sketching different from traditional sketching?

Traditional sketching uses physical tools like pencils and paper, while vector sketching is done digitally using software like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape. Vector sketching also allows for more precise and clean lines compared to traditional sketching.

3. What are the advantages of vector sketching?

One of the main advantages of vector sketching is the ability to scale images without losing quality. This makes it ideal for creating logos and illustrations for print or digital use. Vector sketching also allows for easy editing and manipulation of objects and colors.

4. Do I need any special skills or software to do vector sketching?

Yes, vector sketching requires knowledge of software like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape, which can be learned through tutorials and practice. It also helps to have a good understanding of design principles and drawing techniques.

5. Can I convert a traditional sketch into a vector sketch?

Yes, it is possible to convert a traditional sketch into a vector sketch using image tracing tools in software like Adobe Illustrator. However, the quality of the conversion may vary and it may require some manual editing to achieve the desired result.