Mastering Vector Direction: Tips and Tricks for Understanding Degrees

• Thread starter superdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction, represented as arrows in a coordinate system. They are used to describe physical quantities and can be added or subtracted by corresponding components. A vector differs from a scalar because it has direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors can also be multiplied together through dot product and cross product, which result in a scalar and a vector, respectively. Vectors are widely used in real-life applications such as navigation, mechanics, physics, computer graphics, and engineering for representation of forces and motion.
superdude
Hello:

I don't have a question on how to solve a specific problem, rather vectors in general.

In my book, they often give vector direction by stating "due north", "due east", "due west", "due south". However, I can't figure out which of these directions correspond with what degree. For example, is "due north" = 90 degrees?

Please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I 10 years of using vectors I have always had 90 degress = north.

so what are the degrees of the other diretions? east, south, west?

West = 180 Degrees
South = 270 Degress
East = 0 Degrees

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented as arrows in a coordinate system and are used to describe physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to make sure they have the same number of dimensions (components). Then, you can simply add or subtract the corresponding components of each vector to get the result.

3. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. Can I multiply two vectors together?

Yes, there are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a vector. Both operations have specific formulas to determine the result.

5. How are vectors used in real life?

Vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, mechanics, and physics. They are also used in computer graphics and programming for 3D animations and simulations. In engineering, vectors are used to represent forces and motion in structures and machines.