1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with word problem

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    Question: A spherical bubble of radius 1 is surmounted by a smaller, hemispherical bubble, which in turn is surmounted by a still smaller hemispherical bubble, and so forth, until n chambers including the initial sphere are formed. What is the maximum height of any bubble tower with n chambers?

Ok, The answer is 1 + sqrt(n) , but I can't figure out how that is possible. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Hint 1: you can optimize the 2 dimensional cross section of the bubble tower instead and it gives the same result.

Hint 2: First optimize the radius of a bubble hemisphere r2 that sits atop a bubble hemisphere r1.
  4. Apr 18, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting. The OP says that you can get 1 + sqrt(n). I agree for n=2. For n=3, the formula gives 1+sqrt(3), but choosing hemispherical bubble sizes of 1, sqrt(0.5) and 0.5, I only get a height of 2+\sqrt(0.5), slightly smaller. In other words, I found the optimal sequence to be [tex]r_n = 2^{-n/2}[/tex], where n starts at zero rather than the OP's one, and the height formula to be

[tex]1 + r_n + \sum_{k=1}^{k=n}\sqrt{r_{k-1}^2 - r_k^2}[/tex].

Did I screw up the calculus or did I read the problem wrong or what?

Well it's late.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?