Draw the direction and magnitude of all the forces acting on the block of mass

In summary, the block of mass is sliding down an incline with a velocity. All surfaces have friction, and the normal force is directed downward and the frictional force is oriented in both directions.
prabhjyot
Free body diagrams
Draw the direction and magnitude of all the forces acting on the block of mass m when it is:
(a) Stationary on the incline
(b) Sliding down the incline with velocity, V
(c) Sliding on a concave surface with velocity, V.
All surfaces have friction.

Attachments

• diagram1.GIF
    diagram1.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
And what hae you done on the problem? No one is going to do your homework for you.

thats true but you didnt have to be so nasty about it, even though i can't talk, sorry

this is what I have done and am not sure its correct or not...I am confused...I need it today please check my work..
uploaded the work on this link..

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/50e7ebf4ec.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
prabhjyot said:
Free body diagrams
Draw the direction and magnitude of all the forces acting on the block of mass m when it is:
(a) Stationary on the incline
(b) Sliding down the incline with velocity, V
(c) Sliding on a concave surface with velocity, V.
All surfaces have friction.

Please describe the forces invovled - starting with gravity, which acts downward. Consider friction - in which direction does is it oriented?

If something is not moving, what does that tell one about the net forces?

What forces are normal? What forces are tangential?

please cjeck my work..?
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/dd0c7dcf1d.bmp

prabhjyot said:
please cjeck my work..?
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/dd0c7dcf1d.bmp
I'm afraid these are incorrect. You have all the forces involved; weight, the normal force and the frictional force, now you must determine in which direction they are acting. As Astronuc said, gravity always acts down, that is straight down vertically. In which direction is the normal force always directed? In both cases in which direction to friction act?

1. What is the purpose of drawing the direction and magnitude of forces on a block of mass?

The purpose of drawing the direction and magnitude of forces on a block of mass is to visually represent the different forces acting on the block. This can help to understand the overall motion and behavior of the block and determine the net force acting on it.

2. How do you determine the direction of a force on a block of mass?

The direction of a force on a block of mass can be determined by considering the direction in which the force is acting, such as pushing or pulling, and the orientation of the force relative to the block. It is important to also consider the coordinate system being used, such as x and y axes, to accurately represent the direction of the force.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a force?

The magnitude of a force refers to the strength or amount of the force, while the direction of a force refers to the path or orientation in which the force is acting. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a force.

4. Can there be multiple forces acting on a block of mass?

Yes, there can be multiple forces acting on a block of mass. In fact, it is common for there to be multiple forces acting on an object, which can result in the object having a net force and changing its motion.

5. How do you represent the magnitude of a force on a drawing?

The magnitude of a force can be represented by the length of an arrow or vector on the drawing. The longer the arrow, the greater the magnitude of the force. It is also important to include a scale on the drawing to accurately represent the magnitude of the force.