Need Help: Understanding Conventional Current, Electron Flow & AC vs DC

• Thread starter daisy_polly
  • Start date
In summary, there are two conventions for current flow - conventional current and electron flow. The difference between them is that electrons actually flow in the opposite direction of conventional current, but the convention persists due to historical reasons. Direct current (DC) flows in one direction, while alternating current (AC) alternates in direction. AC is used for power distribution because it is more efficient for transmission and can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers. AC is also considered safer for humans as the frequency allows for easier release from shocks. However, DC is still used for some applications and is cheaper to produce.
daisy_polly
need help!

Hi,

I am preparing for an exam and I really need help in understanding these concepts.

The difference between conventional current and electron flow. Also explain why were these two conventions developed?

How is direct current different from alternating current,and why is the alternating current system chosen in Canada?

Thanks in advance :frown:
Need help fast
Daisy

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by daisy_polly
The difference between conventional current and electron flow. Also explain why were these two conventions developed?
I'm assuming that, by conventional current, you mean the abstract idea that protons are positive and electrons are negative, and that this conventional current flows from high (positive charge) to low (negative charge).

The difference is very simply stated (but don't be discouraged that it didn't occur to you, because it's just one of those things that you have to be told): Electrons flow in the opposite direction of conventional current. Why? Because the electron wasn't well enough understood at the time the convention was established.

One thing to note: the convention does not affect the physics of circuits, only the way you do calculations. It does come to issue when dealing with magnetism, which is how it was determined that the negative charges are actually the ones flowing (see the hall effect).

How is direct current different from alternating current, ...
Direct current does not alternate (in polarity). Meaning, the direction that you draw the arrows on a circuit to represent the current do not change for direct current. Alternating current alternates (in polarity). Meaning, the side at which current enters a circuit element and the side at which current leaves a circuit element alternate periodically.

DC and AC also mean something more general than just referring to current. They are used in the most general sense to characterize any electrical signal, not just current (i.e. DC can mean a steady voltage level whereas AC would mean a voltage that varies periodically/sinusoidally).

... why is the alternating current system chosen in Canada?
It is chosen everywhere in the world. It is chosen for the sake of power distribution. Loss occurs in transmission lines do to current. So, if you transmit the same amount of power at a lower current but higher voltage, then you don't lose as much power. The most effecient way to make the conversion is using transformers, but transformers only work with AC.

It is chosen everywhere in the world. It is chosen for the sake of power distribution. Loss occurs in transmission lines do to current. So, if you transmit the same amount of power at a lower current but higher voltage, then you don't lose as much power. The most effecient way to make the conversion is using transformers, but transformers only work with AC.

I believe DC Currents are much Cheaper than AC

So far the Q concerned Mostly AC is used coz of shocks

DC shocks are more harmful than AC

Originally posted by himanshu121
I believe DC Currents are much Cheaper than AC

DC shocks are more harmful than AC

Would you care to expand on this please? It is not something I have heard of. :smile:

What I remember hearing in High School, is that the higher the frequency of the current, the more the current is confined on the surface of the thing it passes through (eg, you).

We did this experiment with a high-frequency Tesla Coil, and although it had something of a 10,000V voltage, it was still safe to touch. Something that I wouldn't recommend with a DC. The teacher mentioned something about most classroom experiments with Tesla Coils being banned in most European countries (but not here, yay! ). I believe this came to be after the death of a student in France.

Yes exactly what Dimitri said in addition AC moves in sinusodial waves wheras this is not true for a DC current.

So there are possibility that u will get uneven and less deprived shocks in different cycles not true for DC,

The way I have always thought of it is 60Hz let's go of you every 1/120 sec (every zero crossing). DC NEVER let's go.

Originally posted by Integral
The way I have always thought of it is 60Hz let's go of you every 1/120 sec (every zero crossing). DC NEVER let's go.

Now that makes sense!

But what about 'cheaper'? Surely all big generators produce AC anyway?

Ya AC let's u go off

Due to the fact that it crosses zero coz of its sinusodial nature and the nervous system can respond to it whereas it is impossible in case of DC.

Right! In a DC current you always get the maximum intensity, but due to the periodic nature of the AC you feel the maximum divide by SQRT(2), don't you?

1. What is conventional current?

Conventional current is the flow of positive charge in a circuit. It is the direction in which we typically think of current flowing, from the positive terminal of a battery to the negative terminal.

2. What is electron flow?

Electron flow is the movement of negatively charged particles, called electrons, through a circuit. This is the actual flow of current in a circuit, in the opposite direction of conventional current.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC?

AC, or alternating current, is a type of current where the direction of flow constantly changes. This is the type of current used in our homes and is produced by power plants. DC, or direct current, is a type of current where the direction of flow remains constant. This is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

4. Why is conventional current used instead of electron flow?

Conventional current was established as the standard for understanding and analyzing circuits because it was originally believed that positive charge flowed through circuits. While we now know that the flow of electrons is the actual current, conventional current is still used for consistency and practicality.

5. How can I determine the direction of current in a circuit?

The direction of current can be determined by using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of conventional current and your fingers will curl in the direction of electron flow.