1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help.

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    Four vectors, each of magnitude 62 m, lie along the sides of a parallelogram as shown in the figure. The angle between vector A and B is 49 degrees.
    What is the magnitude of the vector sum of the four vectors? Answer in units of m.

So far, I have drawn the picture and made out with a parallelogram with the left side as vector A, the top vector C, the right vector D, and the bottom vector B with all of the sides congruent to each other respective to 62 m, and also the angle with between vector A and B is 49 degrees which also means that between C and D is the same while between both A and C and B and D is 131 degrees in between.

What I've been thinking was since I have to find the magnitude of the vector sum of the four vectors, wouldn't it be the same as finding the magnitude diagonal of the parallelogram? or am I off the tee here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a link to the figure, or uplink it as an attachment? We'd like to help, but we need the figure. Thanks.

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If A and C point in the same direction (parallel), they are additive, otherwise if anti-parallel they cancel. Similarly for B and D.

If the head (point) of A touches the tail of B, then they are additive, and resultant is the diagonal. If the point of B touches the tail of C, then C is in the opposite direction of A, and their contributions to the vector sum cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?