1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help!

  1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Need Help! urgent

    I am taking a thermodynamics course and actually i am facing a problem
    what do we call the work due to the change of velocity?
    is it acceleration work or kinetic work.
    i have contacted two instructures in the college and there answers were opposite to each other .... i need your help to know the right definition
    looking forward to hearing from you
    best wishes :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    What's wrong with simply calling it work?
  4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    Well, a change in velocity is acceleration, so I guess it would be acceleration work. Although it's also kinetic, but kinetic would probably encompass more than jsut 'accelertation work'...AW is the more specific of the two.
  5. Apr 11, 2004 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    To the best of my knowledge there is no unique term for this concept. If you are referring to it by a special term be sure you define that term at some point. As long as you stay away from terms used for other quantities and your definition is clear you should be fine.
  6. Apr 12, 2004 #5
    regarding the question i have posted, actually it was aquestion in one of the quizez i have taken..........
  7. Apr 12, 2004 #6
    I would have to agree with Integral in that there is no specific and unique term associated with work due to accelerated motion. The only exception that may be argued is the work done due to rotational motion. An object moving in a circle at a constant speed is by definition accelerating due to a changing velocity. Such references are sometimes referred to as rotational dynamics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: Need Help!
  1. Need HELP! (Replies: 8)

  2. Need Help! (Replies: 1)