Slope of Secant Line at PQ

In summary, the question asks for the slope of the secant line PQ for the point (25,7) and (x,√x+2), with x = 25.1. Using the slope formula, we plug in the values to get a slope of 51.
jimen113
I have not seen math in years and just started claculus last week.

Homework Statement

The point p(25,7) lies on the curve y=[tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]+2. Let Q be the point (x, [tex]\sqrt{}x[/tex]+2).
Find the slope of the secant line PQ for the following values of x:
If x=25.1, the slope of PQ is:

Homework Equations

I

The Attempt at a Solution

I was using the formula : m[tex]_{}pq[/tex]= x[tex]_{}2[/tex] -1 /X-1 and substituting x for 25.1 and then performed division.
Im new to the site and I'm getting used to the formatting so excuse my errors,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
but here is my response to the forum post:

Hello!

First of all, congratulations on starting calculus! It can be a challenging subject, but with practice and determination, I am sure you will excel.

To find the slope of the secant line PQ, we need to use the slope formula: m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). In this case, our point P is (25,7) and our point Q is (x,√x+2). So, we can plug these values into the formula to get:

m = (√x+2-7)/(x-25)

Now, to find the slope when x = 25.1, we can simply substitute 25.1 for x in the formula:

m = (√25.1+2-7)/(25.1-25)

Simplifying this, we get:

m = (5.1/0.1)

Therefore, the slope of the secant line PQ when x = 25.1 is 51.

I hope this helps! Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck on any other problems. Good luck!

What is the slope of a secant line?

The slope of a secant line is a measure of the steepness of a line connecting two points on a curve. It is calculated by dividing the change in y-values by the change in x-values between the two points.

How is the slope of a secant line calculated?

To calculate the slope of a secant line, you first need to identify two points on the curve. Then, you can use the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

What is the significance of the slope of a secant line?

The slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change between the two points on the curve. It can also be used to estimate the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point on the curve.

How does the slope of a secant line relate to the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a secant line can be thought of as the "average" slope between two points on a curve, while the slope of a tangent line represents the instantaneous slope at a specific point on the curve. As the two points on the secant line get closer and closer together, the slope of the secant line approaches the slope of the tangent line at that point.

How can the slope of a secant line be used in real-world applications?

The slope of a secant line can be used to analyze rates of change in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the average speed of a car during a trip or determining the average rate of growth of a population over a certain period of time. It is also used in calculus to approximate the slope of a curve at a given point.