What angle do the springs make with the vertical at equilibrium?

In summary, the problem involves a 5.0kg mass being held between two horizontal springs of unstretched length 0.1m. The mass is released and supported by the springs against gravity. The question asks for the angle the springs make with the vertical at equilibrium, and it is not a question about energy but rather about statics.
Nickluvn

Homework Statement

A 5.0kg mass held is between two springs of unstretched length 0.1m such that the springs are horizontal. The mass is then released in such a way that it is supported against gravity by these two springs. What angle do the springs make with the vertical at equilibrium?

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2kx^2 is the used in replacement of 1/2mv^2.
what i don't understant is calculating the angle?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Nickluvn! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Nickluvn said:

The springs make a V shape …

you can get the angle from the spring length and the height difference (the "h" in mgh). :wink:

Nickluvn said:
What angle do the springs make with the vertical at equilibrium?

Homework Equations

1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

good thinking, but I think you may be using the wrong approach. Think about what the use of the word "equilibrium" implies about the sum of the FORCES. The way I read that question is it is asking you the angle the springs make once the entire system has come to rest (i.e. no longer bouncing, and the use of the word equilibrium).

tiny-tim said:
Hi Nickluvn! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

The springs make a V shape …

you can get the angle from the spring length and the height difference (the "h" in mgh). :wink:

I'm not sure this is an energy problem. Sounds like statics to me. :confused:

1. What is the equilibrium position of a spring?

The equilibrium position of a spring is the point at which the forces acting on the spring are balanced and there is no net force causing the spring to move. At this point, the spring is neither stretched nor compressed and is in a state of rest.

2. How is the equilibrium position of a spring related to the angle it makes with the vertical?

The equilibrium position of a spring is directly related to the angle it makes with the vertical. When a spring is in equilibrium, it makes a 90 degree angle with the vertical, meaning it is perpendicular to the ground.

3. What factors affect the angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium?

The angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium is affected by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the mass attached to the spring, and the force applied to the spring.

4. How can the angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium be calculated?

The angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium can be calculated using the equation tan θ = F/k, where θ is the angle, F is the force applied to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

5. Can the angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium change?

Yes, the angle a spring makes with the vertical at equilibrium can change if the factors affecting it (such as the force applied or the mass attached) are altered. Additionally, if the spring is not in a state of equilibrium, the angle will change as the spring moves towards the equilibrium position.