Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Ideas for LED Necklace

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    Hello people

I am trying to design a birtday presenet for someone and I need your ideas for this. I want to make a LED necklace with a 5mm LED powered by a 3V CR2025 battery. What I cant figure out is where do I put this in to? How can I do the casing and out of which material? I am not a glass cutter and I dont own a glass cutting machine so I will need to do this by hand. I also need to print or etch a symbol or word on this material.

Anyone can think of a way to make this kind of casing and etching? I don't care how time consuming it will be, only thing important is to be able to make this with materials I can find at home or easily buy from a store.

(I am bending the LED over the battery for minimal space in case you wonder how I am thinking to fit them in a necklace)

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a site called Instructables where people post how they have created different things. They have an entire section on LEDs. I'm sure that you'll find something there.

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?q=LED+necklace" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 10, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the information but I can't find anything for my use there :(

I am still open to ideas of glass-like easy shapeable material.

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Epoxy Resin maybe?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybSRHJUNU0

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    Resin sounds like a good idea thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook