1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Ideas for RLC Circuit Lab

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Our professor makes us design our own lab. For the lab we have unknown resistors, capacitors and inductors. Using an oscilloscope, function generator and some wires we have to figure out what the values are for all these elements.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that we would be able to get a damping sinusoidal graph, plot some equation to the peaks and get some numbers from that, but we just are not getting those types of graph using a square sine wave. I'm thinking that there is something we can do with phase shift using a sine wave. I've already spend more time than I have trying to figure out what to do and am still not sure. I'm just looking for some ideas on what approach to take towards this lab.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If you take the components two at a time (RL, RC, LC), what circuit configurations can you construct from the pairs for which you know the properties? (Think time constants, resonances)

What are the expressions for those properties? How might you measure those properties with an oscilloscope and function (frequency) generator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted