1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need info

1. Jan 30, 2004 #1
    I need help find a good page which talks about the physics of a tranformer. I know all about the b fields and the flux and the ratio of the windings but what I really need is the practical formulea and methods for example calculating the voltage drop on the primary if the secondary has aresistance of so much and there is a resistor in series with the primary. I could experiment with different variations and figure it out but it would be alot safer and quicker to find a reference for this material. I really would appreaciate help in this matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2004 #2
    I've never seen a specific reference on transformers. I learned the stuff you're asking about in RF design classes. Maybe this will help:

V2 = N2/N1 * V1
    I2 = N1/N2 * I1
    P1 = P2

Use an ideal transformer as a circuit element & put the resistances in as circuit elements. For example if the secondary has a resistor of R2 ohms & you look into the primary the above relations will show you see a resistance of

Rin = (N1/N2)^2 * R2

This Rin would be added to any resistance in the primary winding to make a practical dc cicruit model. For ac, you apply the same idea to the capacitance of the windings using Zc = 1/(2pifc). It works well for frequencies below the self-resonant freq. of the transformer.

I think this is covered in a wonderful book by Tom Lee called
    "CMOS RFIC Design".

mmwave ( writing without his EE211 notes)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?