Need Info: Bi2Te3 Crystal Structure, Grain Size & Lattice Parameter

In summary, Mahedi is seeking urgent information on the crystal structure, grain size and lattice parameter of Bi2Te3. He is currently working on a thermoelectric material and is confused about the crystal structure of Bi2Te3, as some literature states it is rhombohedral while others say it is hexagonal. He has tried to measure the grain size and lattice parameter from XRD data, but is unsure of the exact equations and processes. These obstacles have hindered his research progress and he is open to receiving further information.
mahedi
need urgent information

Dear All,

Can anyone inform me the following things on urgent basis ?

- The crystal structure of Bi2Te3 is Rhombohedral or Hexagonal ?
- How can I calculate the grain size from the XRD data/curve for Bi2Te3 ?
- how to calculate the lattice parameter of Bi2Te3 (Rhombohedral/Hexagonal crystal structure) from the XRD data/curve ?

Providing such information would be very much helpful to me.

Sincerely
Mahedi

Physics news on Phys.org

We don't spoonfeed. Show your work. We'll try to guide.

Now I am working on 95% Bi2Te3- 5% Bi2Se3 thermoelectric material doped with SbI3 , fabricated by gas atomization in powder form. Next I want to consolidate the powder into the bulk and measure the thermoelectric properties.

In some literature I found that Bi2te3 crystal structure is rhombohedral and in some other as Hexagonal. So I am confused about it.

After getting the XRD spectram of the powder, I tried to measure the lattice parameter and grain size.

From the optical microscopy I got the view of the grain size which is few micrometer, but by calculating from the half width of XRD main peak the value shows in few nanometers, that put me farther confusion.

About the lattice parameter I don't know the exact equation and the process.

Now these created an obstacles in my research that stopped my advancement.

If you want to know any more things than kindly inform me.

Mahedi.

1. What is the crystal structure of Bi2Te3?

The crystal structure of Bi2Te3 is rhombohedral, meaning it has a three-fold rotational symmetry and its unit cell has a rhombic shape.

2. How is the grain size of Bi2Te3 determined?

The grain size of Bi2Te3 can be determined through various methods such as scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) or X-ray diffraction (XRD).

3. What is the lattice parameter of Bi2Te3?

The lattice parameter of Bi2Te3 depends on the temperature and pressure conditions. At room temperature and atmospheric pressure, the lattice parameter is approximately 4.38 Angstroms.

4. How does the crystal structure of Bi2Te3 affect its properties?

The rhombohedral crystal structure of Bi2Te3 gives it unique thermal and electrical properties, making it a popular material for thermoelectric applications.

5. Can the grain size of Bi2Te3 be controlled?

Yes, the grain size of Bi2Te3 can be controlled through various methods such as annealing, mechanical milling and sintering processes. Different grain sizes can result in different properties and applications of the material.