What's the perfect mathematical formula for my next tattoo?

• Thread starter SamirS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Input
In summary, the conversation is about getting a mathematical formula tattooed as a representation of one's interest and understanding of physics. The formula should have a deep insight, be mathematically beautiful, and aesthetically pleasing. E=mc² and Euler's identity are considered, but some suggest other options such as Faraday's Law or a formula involving prime numbers and pi. The conversation also touches on the idea of beauty and personal preference in mathematical formulas.
SamirS
So I already have two molecules (chemically valid, the artistic interpretation never overrides that validity!) which have a very special meaning to me tatooed on my left and right shoulder.

I'm still very much a beginner, only starting to study physics, however I do understand a fair bit of it and math already.

As a representation of that, I want to have one formula tatooed. It should represent a deep insight, it should be mathematically beautiful and also pleasing to the eye (have a kind of optically aesthetic harmony). E=mc² is too cliche, but I'm considering it. Euler's identity is also a candidate.

So I hope you have some ideas and/or recommendations for me, and I'll post pictures when it's done, of course!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you study physics a while, you'll inevitably come across a formula that makes you just come to a full stop and say, holy crap!

Like, Bell's Inequality...that one got me :eek:

But it's very personal - what does it for one person may not do it for another.

PS what are your molecules?

Perhaps you could get a tattoo of an empty command prompt "> " as you wait for our input.

If you're interested, send me a PM, I'd rather answer that question privately :)

Well, so far Euler's Identity just hit me like a rock. I knew it as text (not knowing the meaning), but after I learned the things behind it, and THEN looking at it again, well, the sense of awe how much beauty lies there...

In physics it is actually E=mc² so far, it's simple, fundamental, and I'll definitely put it in ink, too - I'm rather just collecting ideas right now :)

Unintended Doublepost

The absolute, most beautiful mathematical formula is the following for me:

[tex]\prod_{p~\text{prime}}{\frac{1}{1-p^{-2}}}=\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

Why is this formula beautiful? On the left-hand side, you have prime numbers, which is defined by divisibility of the integers. On the right-hand side is pi, which is defined as some relation in the circle. Now, what do circles and prime numbers have to do with each other?? Nothing (on first glance), however they are connected by the above pretty formula. The formula is a deep connection of algebra and geometry, and that's why I like it so much!

How about the beginnings of the proton-proton chain leading up to a helium nucleus? (4 Protons converging in an X formation with an alpha particle in the center) You would have the power of a star in your skin!

I'm almost certain I will get euler's identity tatooed on my arm.

SamirS said:
Euler's identity is also a candidate.

If you think e=mc^2 is too cliche, stay away from this. Everyone and their dog has this tattooed on them. I'm not even sure that they understand why it is such an important identity to be honest, sure it is pretty and all but bestowing such a high importance on something to have it tattooed on your body entirely because of its beauty seems kind of daft to me. It's like saying a very beautiful super model who has contributed nothing to society has more worth than someone who contributes lots. It's what the identity demonstrates and says that makes it truly beautiful in my mind and that is what I think a lot of these people don't understand.Hmm, harmless post turned rant. :yuck:

1MileCrash said:
I'm almost certain I will get euler's identity tatooed on my arm.

don't! I never liked eulers identity. The result is pretty, but the derivation is ugly and crude IMO.

My favorite equation is Faraday's Law, but Maxwell's equations are soooooooooooo cliche. :rolleyes:

micromass said:

:!) Pretty! Any name to that, or is it just a... formula?

Everyone has their favorites...Still tryin to figure out what mine is. Need...More...Tattoos..

Go with this one, kind of wrapped around your arm, with the portion on the front of your arm blue, slowly shifting to red by time it reaches the back of your arm:

[tex]f=\left( \frac{v+v_r}{v+v_{s}} \right) f_o \, [/tex]

SamirS said:
So I already have two molecules (chemically valid, the artistic interpretation never overrides that validity!) which have a very special meaning to me tatooed on my left and right shoulder.

I'm still very much a beginner, only starting to study physics, however I do understand a fair bit of it and math already.

As a representation of that, I want to have one formula tatooed. It should represent a deep insight, it should be mathematically beautiful and also pleasing to the eye (have a kind of optically aesthetic harmony). E=mc² is too cliche, but I'm considering it. Euler's identity is also a candidate.

So I hope you have some ideas and/or recommendations for me, and I'll post pictures when it's done, of course!

You may want to take a look at this thread started by chroot. I don't know if he ever got one but there are a lot of ideas here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=180444"

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with pergradus. something about faraday's law that just does it for me. no, she's not witty, she's probably not the prettiest belle at the ball, but she knows how to rock what she does have and i dig that.

micromass said:
The absolute, most beautiful mathematical formula is the following for me:

Why is this formula beautiful? On the left-hand side, you have prime numbers, which is defined by divisibility of the integers. On the right-hand side is pi, which is defined as some relation in the circle. Now, what do circles and prime numbers have to do with each other?? Nothing (on first glance), however they are connected by the above pretty formula. The formula is a deep connection of algebra and geometry, and that's why I like it so much!

Really, what is this?

How about "0.999... = 1"

Borek said:

I don't know if it has a name -- I would just call it zeta(2).

Borek said:

There is definitely a name for this formula. I just can't recall atm. I'll go find it.

EDIT I remember it was proved by Euler

EDIT #2 ------ Found it!

It's called the basel problem

Here is the link to where Euler solved it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem

Scroll down to the part where "Euler Attacks the Problem"

Wait... This isn't exactly it, but it has the same result.

Last edited:
BloodyFrozen said:
Wait... This isn't exactly it, but it has the same result.

Quite different I would say, Basel problem formula looks (in a way) trivial compared to the one micromass posted. In one case summation goes through natural numbers, in other case product goes through primes.

Borek said:
Quite different I would say, Basel problem formula looks (in a way) trivial compared to the one micromass posted. In one case summation goes through natural numbers, in other case product goes through primes.

I guess if the OP is looking for a conversation piece, one's been found. :biggrin:

I personally just always wanted an organ donor indicator tattoo of some form, in some hidden spot that would be seen by medical workers, to make my last wishes known (although the spouse and I have discussed this in detail already and are in agreement).

Borek said:

True,True.

Guys,

thanks a lot for your help. I've also browsed the links and I think I know what it will be. It won't be Euler's, and also not E=mc² ;) .

I've sorted out three different ones and are trying out designs in Photoshop and the next step is taking them to the artist to see which one fits best and decide on that basis. I'll post pictures when it's finished.

The red/blue shift post also gave me some interesting ideas!

As the two different molecules are on the left and right shoulder, respectively, and wrap around the delta to the pectoralis on the front and the teres major on the back, the formula (my criteria are a lot like chroot's except the size isn't as limited) will connect the molecules.

I don't want it to be visible to anyone in a t-shirt (just like my other tatoos are hidden as well) because it's more of a personal thing than a "hey I'm so clever, I'll even tatoo my IQ"-thing.

What is the perfect mathematical formula for my next tattoo?

The perfect mathematical formula for your next tattoo is subjective and depends on your personal preferences and the design you have in mind. There is no one "perfect" formula that will work for everyone.

Can you recommend a specific mathematical formula for my tattoo?

As a scientist, I cannot recommend a specific mathematical formula for your tattoo. It is important to choose a formula that is meaningful to you and represents something important in your life.

What should I consider when choosing a mathematical formula for my tattoo?

When choosing a mathematical formula for your tattoo, you should consider its significance to you, its aesthetic appeal, and its readability. You may also want to consult with your tattoo artist to ensure that the formula will translate well onto your skin.

Are there certain mathematical formulas that are more popular for tattoos?

Some popular mathematical formulas for tattoos include the Fibonacci sequence, the Golden Ratio, and equations from famous mathematicians such as Pythagoras or Einstein. However, the most important factor is choosing a formula that has personal meaning to you.

Can I get a tattoo of any mathematical formula?

In theory, you can get a tattoo of any mathematical formula. However, it is important to consider the complexity and size of the formula, as well as the skill level of your chosen tattoo artist. It is also important to make sure the formula is accurate and error-free before getting it permanently inked on your skin.