Integral Help: 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)

• Thread starter tmclary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the indefinite integral of 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5). The first person is asking for help, mentioning that the denominator cannot be factored and has a complex discriminant. The second person suggests completing the square and making a u-substitution to get a tan^-1 type integral. Both parties thank each other for their help.
tmclary

Homework Statement

Integrate the indefinite integral of 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
tmclary said:

Homework Statement

Integrate the indefinite integral of 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)
I assume you mean find the indefinite integral. You also forgot to fill in the following two sections, in particular the final one:
tmclary said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I have no clue how to get started. The denominator won't factor (at least to linear factors w/ integral coefficients) and the discriminant is complex anyway. So if it's a partial fraction type solution, how do you get started? Thanks.

Try completing the square of the denominator.

So 1/(4x^2)+4x+5 =1/((2x+1)^2)+4 and I make a u-sub. Looks like tan^-1 type integral. Correct?

tmclary said:
So 1/(4x^2)+4x+5 =1/((2x+1)^2)+4 and I make a u-sub. Looks like tan^-1 type integral. Correct?
Looks good to me :approve:. Choose your substitution carefully.

Thanks for your help, Def & Hoot!

tmclary said:
Thanks for your help, Def & Hoot!
A pleasure :smile:

http://www.4nw.net/s_thumbnailer-6-2008/hb6z6g1g.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the integral 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)?

The purpose of this integral is to find the area under the curve of the given function represented by 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5). This area is also known as the definite integral and can be used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and science.

2. How do you solve the integral 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)?

To solve this integral, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fraction decomposition. It is important to have a thorough understanding of calculus and its techniques to solve this integral correctly.

3. What is the result of the integral 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5)?

The result of this integral is a function that represents the area under the curve of 1/((4x^2)+(4x)+5). This function can be evaluated at specific values to find the exact area or used to solve other problems that involve this integral.

4. Can this integral be solved using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, this integral can be solved using a calculator or computer program that has a built-in function for solving integrals. However, it is important to understand the concept and techniques behind solving integrals before relying solely on technology.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this integral?

Yes, this integral has many real-world applications. It can be used to find the volume of irregular shapes, calculate the work done by a varying force, or determine the average value of a function over a given interval. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems.