Need Jump Start On Two EM Questions

• Thread starter mochi_melon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em Jump
Your Name]In summary, the poster is asking for help in finding the rate of radiation emitted from a charged particle moving through a magnetic and electric field. They are also unsure about the first non-zero multiple moment of a system and have attached a formula for the magnetic moment. The expert explains that the radiation is due to the particle's interaction with the fields and provides information on how to calculate it using the Larmor formula. They also clarify the meaning of the first non-zero multiple moment and give an example in the case of a loop with alternating current.
mochi_melon
1) I am asked to find the rate of radiation emitted from a charged particle with constant velocity moving through a magnetic field at an angle and then with an added parallel electric field. I know how to do it without the fields and just the point charge, I just don't know how to factor in the particle going through an E and B field.

However, I am inclined to believe that there is no radiation due just from the point charge because it is a constant velocity, making all the radiation from the field(s) it is in. Is this correct? Would the radiation just be the Poynting vector in that case (but if so, then it'd be zero before the addition of the parallel E field because you're taking the cross product of all zeros on the one side)

2) I am also asked to find the first non-zero multiple moment of a system for another problem (loop of radius r with alternating current). I'm not really sure what they mean by that, I have attached the formula for the magnetic moment, but I'm not sure what they mean by non-zero multiple.

Thanks!

Attachments

• equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about finding the rate of radiation emitted from a charged particle moving through a magnetic and electric field. Let me address your questions one by one.

1) First of all, you are correct in thinking that the radiation from a charged particle with constant velocity is due to the fields it is moving through, rather than the point charge itself. This is because a constant velocity means there is no acceleration, and radiation is only emitted when there is acceleration. Therefore, the radiation in this case would be due to the particle's interaction with the magnetic and electric fields.

To calculate the rate of radiation emitted, you will need to use the Larmor formula, which takes into account the particle's velocity, charge, and the strength of the magnetic and electric fields. The Poynting vector is indeed involved in the calculation, as it represents the direction and magnitude of the energy flow due to the electromagnetic fields.

2) The first non-zero multiple moment of a system refers to the lowest order of the system's multipole expansion that has a non-zero value. In the case of a loop of radius r with alternating current, the magnetic moment formula you have attached is an example of a multipole expansion. The first non-zero multiple moment in this case would be the dipole moment, which is the first term in the expansion.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is an EM field?

An EM (electromagnetic) field is a physical field that is created by moving electrically charged particles. It consists of both an electric field and a magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other and constantly oscillating.

2. How do EM fields affect us?

EM fields can affect us in a variety of ways, depending on the strength and frequency of the field. They can be used in technologies such as radios and cell phones, but high levels of exposure to EM fields have also been linked to potential health risks.

3. What is the difference between an EM field and an EM wave?

An EM field is a stationary field that surrounds a charged particle, while an EM wave is a traveling disturbance in the EM field. In other words, an EM field is the cause of an EM wave.

4. How are EM fields and EM waves related to each other?

EM fields and EM waves are closely related, as EM waves are essentially a manifestation of an EM field. The oscillations in the EM field create changes in the electric and magnetic fields, which then propagate as an EM wave.

5. Can EM fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, EM fields can be shielded or blocked using certain materials such as metals or conductive fabrics. This is often done to protect sensitive equipment from interference or to reduce exposure to high levels of EM fields.