Troubleshooting Internet Connection: Norton Anti Virus Scanning Emails Sent

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of someone potentially using the speaker's internet connection to send emails, which could result in the speaker being labeled as a spammer. The suggestion is made to get a router with a built-in firewall for added security. The speaker also suggests scanning the computer and reformatting the hard drive for a clean slate. They also ask for more information on the type of connection and service being used. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a Netgear router and questions about its features.
tribdog
I've noticed in the past that when I connect to the internet my bytes sent often equals my bytes received. I recently installed Norton Anti virus and last time I got online I noticed that norton was scanning emails being sent. someone is using my connection to send their emails. is this a common problem? am I going to be labeled as a spammer when I try sending my own mail?

Computer science news on Phys.org
will setting up a firewall solve this problem?

Trib, I would reccomend getting a router with a built in firewll that allows you to be 'stealthy' while on the net. Like with a netgear router whenever someone tries to ping your computer they get nothing back. Also you don't have to worry about cpu resources veing used by a software firewall.

It may be a bot of somekind using you but then again I am not that savvy! I would be concerned about what you are talking about! Try looking into one of these scanner sites to test your security just make sure that it isn't one those scam scan sites! I would look into scanning your computer and if you really want to feel safe, then just reformat your hard drive so you can start with a clean slate, tabula rasa.

What kind of connection are you using? What kind of service?

Hey I just came across the article Trib and I thought it perhaps would reinforce your paranoia :rofl: :

Have hackers recruited your PC?

Some food for thought of your speculations!

hey polyb.. what is a netgear router, how and where do you get one (free download?) and how do you use it? does it prevent others from tracing your ip adress in your email as well? interested

1. What does "Need just a little help here" mean?

"Need just a little help here" is a phrase that is commonly used to ask for assistance or support with a particular task or problem. It implies that the person is struggling or having difficulty and could benefit from some assistance.

2. How can I offer help when someone says "Need just a little help here"?

If someone says "Need just a little help here", a simple way to offer assistance is to ask what they need help with and then offer to assist in any way you can. You can also offer specific suggestions or ask if they would like you to take over the task completely.

3. Is saying "Need just a little help here" a sign of weakness?

No, saying "Need just a little help here" is not a sign of weakness. It takes courage to admit when we need help and asking for help is a sign of strength. It shows that we are willing to learn and grow, and that we understand the value of collaboration and support.

4. How can I use "Need just a little help here" in a professional setting?

In a professional setting, you can use "Need just a little help here" to ask for assistance or guidance from your colleagues or superiors. It shows that you are proactive and willing to seek help in order to achieve your goals and contribute to the success of the team or organization.

5. Can saying "Need just a little help here" improve teamwork and productivity?

Yes, saying "Need just a little help here" can improve teamwork and productivity. It encourages open communication and collaboration, which are essential for a successful team. It also allows team members to support each other and work together towards a common goal, leading to increased productivity and efficiency.