Latex Reference for New Users: Integral Help

In summary, the conversation was about finding a LaTeX reference for new users and how to post an infinite integral with correct formatting. Suggestions were offered, including checking a sticky thread and clicking on the TeX in a similar thread to view the source. A specific URL was also provided for further help with LaTeX math typesetting.
Pollywoggy
Is there a Latex reference for new users? I was unable to figure out how to post an infinite integral with which I need help. I got the integral sign to post and also the upper boundary but could not get the integrand or lower boundary to appear correctly.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought there was a sticky thread around here someplace, but I can't seem to find it. In the meantime one way is to fish around for a thread similar to your's and click on the TeX. It should pop up a window showing you the TeX source they used to do it.

Dick said:
I thought there was a sticky thread around here someplace, but I can't seem to find it. In the meantime one way is to fish around for a thread similar to your's and click on the TeX. It should pop up a window showing you the TeX source they used to do it.

Thanks, I did try that, tried copy/paste.

I will check the URL Rocophysics just posted.

1. What is "Latex Reference for New Users: Integral Help"?

"Latex Reference for New Users: Integral Help" is a comprehensive guide for beginners to learn how to use the Latex typesetting system for creating and formatting mathematical equations and expressions. It focuses specifically on how to use the integral symbol in Latex.

2. Why is Latex commonly used for mathematical typesetting?

Latex is commonly used for mathematical typesetting because it is a powerful and versatile system that allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of equations and symbols. It also has a wide range of features and packages that make it suitable for complex mathematical documents.

3. What is an integral symbol in Latex?

The integral symbol in Latex is a mathematical symbol used to represent the concept of integration, which is a fundamental operation in calculus. It is denoted by the symbol "∫" and is used to indicate the area under a curve.

4. How do I use the integral symbol in Latex?

To use the integral symbol in Latex, you need to first load the "amsmath" package in your document's preamble. Then, you can use the command "\int" followed by the limits of integration and the expression to be integrated within curly braces. For example, "\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx" will produce the integral symbol with limits "a" and "b" and the expression "f(x)".

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about using the integral symbol in Latex?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning more about using the integral symbol in Latex. Some popular ones include the official Latex documentation, online tutorials and guides, and forums where you can ask for help and advice from experienced users. You can also refer to "Latex Reference for New Users: Integral Help" for a comprehensive guide on using the integral symbol in Latex.