Need Advice: Should I Stay in Physics or Switch Majors?

• Thread starter LonePhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: However, you may want to consider talking to your academic advisor about the possibility of double majoring in physics and computer engineering to make the most of your interests. Alternatively, you could focus on getting a basic qualification in physics for now and then pursue a job at a company like Intel that aligns with your interests and goals. Ultimately, it's important to prioritize your own happiness and career goals, and explore all options available to you.
LonePhysicist
Currently I am an Undergrad Physics major. I am suppose to start research next semester in order to prepare me for graduate school and get a PhD. While this has been easy for some my current physics class has driven me into the ground and the hardness of it is making me dislike physics completely. I personally think it is because the class is so difficult and demanding (20+ hrs a week), but the class is also making me feel extremely dumb and depressed about myself. As of now I do not however want to keep going on like I currently am and am unsure of what to do (the professor makes it intentionally hard and over half the class has already dropped).

Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU. I do not feel as though this is the only job I would like to do because I am probably going to want to switch and work as a software developer and maybe some form of a researcher and other things as well.

If I switch majors now then I will not graduate on time and probably be spending 5 years at my university. I do not have this as an option because I do not want to occur any more debt then I currently have. Another option I have considered is finishing out a degree in physics and while researching in computer science and electrical engineering area since a lot of what my university has to offer interest me, but since research is very major based I do not feel as this will be an option. Finally, getting internships in computer science seem impossible for me to get given not being a major in the area and not having similar experience to my peers currently even with an abundant supply available.

Physics news on Phys.org
LonePhysicist said:
Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU.
Then so contact those companies and tell them about your enthusiasm!

rootone said:
Then so contact those companies and tell them about your enthusiasm!

I do not have a degree yet and that is one of the requirements for even which would be in physics or one of the related engineering disciplines. I am not looking to get a job currently I am looking to figure out my life at this moment., am just unsure of what to do realistically. Unless if I am missing something please explain because maybe I am not seeing your point as well.

Probably best to just concentrate on getting a basic qualification then for now.
My own experience is that 'getting personal' about what some company does is good for employment prospects.
A company is after all a group of people with a shared objective.

LonePhysicist said:
Additionally, I have had a long desire to work at a company such as Intel and build computer hardware such as processors and CPU. I do not feel as though this is the only job I would like to do because I am probably going to want to switch and work as a software developer and maybe some form of a researcher and other things as well.

If I switch majors now then I will not graduate on time and probably be spending 5 years at my university.
It sounds like computer engineering is the right major for you. If you're in the US, five years to complete an engineering degree is common.

1. Should I stay in physics even though I am struggling with the subject?

It ultimately depends on your goals and interests. If you are passionate about physics and are willing to put in the effort to improve, then staying in the major may be the best decision. However, if you are struggling and have lost interest in the subject, it may be worth considering switching to a major that better aligns with your strengths and interests.

2. Will changing majors affect my career prospects?

Switching majors may impact your career prospects, but it ultimately depends on the field you switch to and your career goals. Some industries may value a physics degree, while others may not. It's important to research the job market and potential career paths for your new major before making a decision.

3. Is it too late to switch majors?

It is never too late to switch majors, but it may require additional time and effort to catch up on required courses. It's important to consult with an academic advisor to discuss your options and create a plan that works for you.

4. Will I lose credits if I switch majors?

It is possible that you may lose some credits when switching majors, especially if your new major has different requirements. However, many universities have general education requirements that can transfer between majors, so you may not have to start completely from scratch.

5. How do I know if switching majors is the right decision for me?

It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and long-term career goals when making this decision. You can also talk to current students or professionals in your desired field, and perhaps even shadow them or do an internship to get a better understanding of the work. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will make you happiest and most fulfilled in the long run.