1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Major Help please!

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    Major stuck on a question for my assignment, totally wracked my brain and my mates too! here is the qtn

An alloy has an initial shear yield strength. After ageing to an overaged condition the matrix now contains particles where the average centre to centre spacing is 275nm. The average partical diameter is 75nm. Determine the new strength of the alloy taking into account the strengthing contribution from the disperesd particles.

Data

Burgers vector the dislocation= 0.286nm
    shear modulas of the alloy 80GPa

We have worked out the addiitional strenght but cant seem to work out the initial to add it to the additional to work out the new!

Please please, anybody... help me

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you don't know the alloy, you're not going to be able to estimate its initial yield strength (in the lack of any strengthening particles) with any precision. As you probably know, the yield strength of alloys depends on many things, including the component metals, the grain size, and the dislocation density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?