Need Material Suggestions

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi a group of us are developing a new system, but are unsure of what material would be best to fulfill a critical role.

The system requires steam to be stored at pressures of upto 20 ATM, and at a temperature initally of 2300 celsius.

What materials would be best suited for this storage?

Thankyou for you suggestions

Answers and Replies

u can use tantalum hafnium carbide (Ta4HfC5), a refractory compound with a melting point of 4488 K (4215 °C, 7619 °F).it can withstand high pressure and temperature too.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Interesting about the material Hassan has suggested. Sounds like some great stuff!

I guess I have to question why a single material should be used for both resisting the high temperature AND resisting the pressure load. For any vessel with high temperature on the ID, there is a thermal gradient out to atmosphere. I would think the standard solution for these situations is to have an insulating material such as a refractory of some type on the inside of a fairly conventional steel vessel. There should be a sufficiently large thermal gradient across the insulation to ensure the material retaining the pressure has sufficient strength at whatever temperature it operates at. You might even water jacket the vessel. Temperature sensors on the steel vessel could also be provided to ensure the steel vessel doesn't exceed a certain temperature. Those sensors could easily be tied into the process controls to alarm at a given high temperature and vent pressure if an even higher temperature is exceeded.