Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need of Wave Packet

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Why Schrodinger postulated that a material particle in motion is equivalent to a wave packet rather than a single wave train?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

By "a single wave train" I guess you mean a plane-polarized wave with a perfectly precise wave vector, e.g.:

[tex]\phi\left(x\right) = e^{ikx}[/tex]

The problem with this function is that it has infinite extent, or infinite uncertainty in position space, as required by the HUP, since [tex]\Delta p = 0[/tex] for this choice. That means that the function is not square-integrable, and therefore is not normalizable, and cannot represent a wavefunction that is a solution the Schrodinger equation.
  4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    I am new to quantum mechanics and have just started introductory wave mechanics so can u please explain it to me in simple terms
  5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Some of this expands on Spectracats post;

A wave-packet is a function that is spatially localised, whereas infinite wave trains continue to the ends of the universe. When we look at an experiment (single-slit diffraction for example), we know that the electrons are spatially localised in some fashion (within the lab, for example), thus we need a wave-packet to describe the position of the particle.

Since wave-functions represent probability, thus they are mathematically constrained in that the integral over all space must = 1. To be normalisable, the integral over all space must be finite. Wave-packets possess this property, but single wave trains do not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook