Engineering Student Seeking Honest Opinion on Lab Reports

In summary: I will go back and revise my reports based on what I have learned from this!In summary, a student is looking for feedback on their lab reports and asks for suggestions on how to improve them.
Squirrelmech
Hi all, I am currently a student (undergraduate, third year) on a 4 year degree in engineering.
I would like some opinion on lab reports, for which I received poor-ish results (60% average).

Would someone here be willing to take a look at my write-ups and give me a honest opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet would be to compare yours to someone who took the same lab and did well on it. You could also ask the prof or grader what they felt you were missing.

Sometimes messy handwritten lab reports turn graders off, other times disorganized reports show a lack of understanding the bigger picture.

Thanks for your reply, I have compared my work with fellow students and believe my work shows that I understand the concepts.
I also tried to talk to my lecturer, these are typed reports, with table of contents etc..
This is why I would like someone to take a look at these reports and give me an outside opinion (I am a mature student by the way).

It would be difficult for someone external to independently assess your report because that external person is not intimately familiar with the course, what material has been covered up to date, what specific requests were made with respect to report format, the details of the experiment, the marking scheme, etc.

As a student you have a right to a fair and well-explained assessment. If there is a point that your instrutor has made that you don't understand, that might be something people on the forums could help you out with.

Thanks for your replies

1. What is the purpose of a lab report?

A lab report is a detailed and structured document that summarizes the procedures, results, and conclusions of a scientific experiment. It serves as a record of the experiment and allows other scientists to replicate the study and verify the results.

2. How should I format my lab report?

Lab reports typically follow a specific format, including an introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion section. It is important to follow the formatting guidelines provided by your instructor or institution, as they may vary slightly.

3. How important is it to include data and figures in a lab report?

Including data and figures in a lab report is crucial as they provide evidence to support your findings and conclusions. They also make the report more visually appealing and easier to understand for the reader.

4. Can I use first person pronouns in a lab report?

In most cases, it is best to avoid using first person pronouns (I, we, me, etc.) in a lab report as it can make the writing seem less objective. Instead, use passive voice and refer to yourself as part of a collective group (e.g. "the researchers"). However, it is important to follow the specific guidelines given by your instructor or institution.

5. How can I ensure that my lab report is honest and accurate?

To ensure the honesty and accuracy of your lab report, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedures and accurately record your data. Additionally, it is important to critically evaluate your results and conclusions, and acknowledge any limitations or sources of error in your experiment.