1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need opinions on my prospects for engineering grad school

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    I am in need of some guidance concerning graduate school. I am a student in mechanical engineering at Oklahoma State University. Long story short, I made some awful grades my junior year because I thought art was my calling—turned out to be a big mistake. I passed 6 out of 24 attempted hours of class, and my GPA plummeted. I somehow managed to maintain a full ride scholarship, however.

Prior to this horrible year, I had about a 3.5 GPA and now I’m down to just over a 3.1, including all the F’s (3.32 overall GPA by the university’s criteria which excludes four retakes). In the past three semesters and two summers since this year I have maintained a 4.0 (57 hours of coursework, almost exclusively upper level ME and math), completed a math minor, and halfway completed a physics minor. I have a part-time undergraduate research position lined up for the summer and my final semester, as well as a summer internship. I take the GRE General in March and have two more semesters to graduate.

My question is: what are my prospects for graduate school in mechanical or materials engineering, given this year of bad grades? How bad is this going to hurt me? Clearly I have no chance at getting into a top-tier program. Are schools like the University of Illinois at Chicago or Oregon State out of reach for me? What level of schools should I be considering for graduate study?

My primary goal is to go to graduate school outside Oklahoma. I just want some input on my prospects if I continue on the path I’m on now.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted