Physics Help: Solving Tension and Acceleration Problems

In summary: The horizontal components of tension on each rope will cancel each other out, so the vertical components must add up to 535N. The exact values will depend on the angles of the ropes and the distances between the climber and the cliffs.
Atomos
Note: I am using 9.8 as accleration of gravity; don't ask why
First question is this:

"The drawing shows a circus cloiwn who weighs 890N. The coefficient of static friction between the clown's feet and the ground is 0.53. He pulls down vertically on a rope that passes through 3 pulleys. What is the minimum pulling force required to pull his feet out from beneath him?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/uranium235/clown.jpg

I get about 308N, am I correct?

second question:

"A mountain climber is in the process of crossing between two cliffs by rope, pauses to rest. She weights 535N. As the drawing shows, she is closer to the left cliffthan to the right cliff, with the result that the tensions in the left and right sides of the rope are not the same. Determine the tension on the left and the right sides of the rope."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/uranium235/climber.jpg

I speculated that both ropes share the vertical component equally, however that got me nowhere.
edit: oh, and the cliffs are supposed to be of equal height above the climber.

third question:
"In the drawing, the rope and the pulleys are massless, and there is no friction. Find (a) the tension in the rope and (b) the acceleration of the 10kg block."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/uranium235/pulleys.jpg

I speculated that the actual force exerted on the 10kg mass was half the gravitational force on the 3kg mass, and thus the acceration of the system would be the acceleration of the 10kg mass. This reasoning is incorrect, why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to the first problem seems correct, but you didn't show your work.

As far as the other problems, why all the speculation? Label the forces and figure it out. For the mountain climber problem, there is equilibrium, so the net force on the climber must be zero. For the pulley and masses, there is acceleration. (Hint: the rope tension is the same throughout.)

work to first problem:
[tex]F_f = uF_n[/tex]
[tex]F_n = |F_g| - |F_a|[/tex]
[tex]|F_a| > u|F_g| - u|F_a|[/tex]
[tex] F_a( 1 + u) > 890u[/tex]
[tex] F_a > ~308.3[/tex]

OK, so for the second one, the horizontal components of the tension on each rope should be equal and opposite right? And the vertical components should add up to 535N but not necessarily be 1/2 of 535N?

[y]es/[n]o? Please, I may be tested on this tomorrow.

Atomos said:
work to first problem:
[tex]F_f = uF_n[/tex]
[tex]F_n = |F_g| - |F_a|[/tex]
[tex]|F_a| > u|F_g| - u|F_a|[/tex]
[tex] F_a( 1 + u) > 890u[/tex]
[tex] F_a > ~308.3[/tex]
Looks OK to me.

Atomos said:
OK, so for the second one, the horizontal components of the tension on each rope should be equal and opposite right? And the vertical components should add up to 535N but not necessarily be 1/2 of 535N?
Exactly right.

1. What is dynamics in physics?

Dynamics in physics is the study of the motion of objects and the forces that cause that motion. It involves understanding how objects move and why they move the way they do.

2. How is dynamics different from kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces causing it, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause motion. In other words, kinematics is concerned with describing the motion of objects, while dynamics is concerned with explaining why objects move the way they do.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its acceleration will be; and the more massive an object, the harder it is to accelerate.

4. How do we apply Newton's laws of motion in dynamics?

In dynamics, we use Newton's laws of motion to understand how forces affect the motion of objects. These laws help us calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of an object when different forces are acting on it.

5. What are some common examples of dynamics in everyday life?

Some common examples of dynamics in everyday life include throwing a ball, riding a bike, driving a car, and jumping on a trampoline. These activities all involve the application of forces and result in different types of motion, which can be explained using the principles of dynamics.