Possible Physics Projects Involving Photosynthesis and Respiration?

In summary, a group of students in a physics course for life science majors are planning to conduct a self-directed experimental project on measuring photosynthesis and respiration rates of plants under different conditions. They are looking for suggestions on how to make the project more physics-based rather than biology-based, such as filtering light or examining the effects of temperature.
chipotleaway
Hello,

I'm taking a physics course targeted at life science majors and over the next few weeks we're to do a self-directed experimental project and then do a write-up/presentation on the findings. My group's current plan is to measure the photosynthesis and respiration rates of some plants under different conditions and to discuss that.

To me, that seems a bit too biology-based but I don't know what physics I can fit it into it (I have no ideas for other projects either so I'm just going with it) to make it a little more interesting and more of a physics project rather than biology.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about filtering the light to see the effect of the wavelength of incident light? The effects of temperature might also be interesting.

Likes 1 person

1. What are some good ideas for a physics project?

There are endless possibilities for physics projects, but some popular ideas include building a homemade electric motor, creating a Rube Goldberg machine, investigating the physics behind roller coasters, or studying the properties of light and optics.

2. How can I make my physics project stand out?

To make your project stand out, try to choose a topic that you are passionate about and create a unique approach to studying it. You can also incorporate creative elements, such as videos or interactive demonstrations, to make your project more engaging.

3. Do I need to have advanced knowledge of physics to do a project?

No, you do not need to have advanced knowledge of physics to do a project. However, having a basic understanding of key concepts and principles will make it easier to choose a suitable topic and conduct your experiments accurately.

4. How much time should I allocate for my physics project?

The amount of time you should allocate for your physics project will depend on the complexity of your topic and the experiments you plan to conduct. It is recommended to start early and give yourself at least a few weeks to complete your project.

5. How can I ensure my project is scientifically accurate?

To ensure scientific accuracy, make sure to use reliable sources for your research and follow the scientific method when conducting experiments. It is also helpful to have a mentor or teacher review your project and provide feedback.