Practicing Validity: Using Rules of Inference to Prove Arguments

In summary: If you want to post something you've written, I'll be glad to check it for errors or tell you if it looks like you're doing something wrong.In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a logic class assignment that involves using the rules of inference to provide proofs for various arguments. The student is struggling with understanding the material and is seeking clarification on how to group negations and how to check the validity of an argument. The expert has provided a summary of the arguments and has pointed out that one of them is invalid, prompting the student to question if they copied it correctly. The expert has also offered to help with specific questions or check written work for errors.
completely lost
I have about 10 questions, I hope someone can take the time to help me with. The directions are: "Use the 18 rules of inference, supply a proof for each of the following arguments." So, here goes:

1.) 1. (R v X) > (A > B)
2. ~ Q > ~ C
3. ~ C > Z
4. R .Y
5. Q v A /Z v B

2.) 1. E . (P . B)
2. (E . B) >~ (P.~M) /E.M

3.) 1. ~(S v C)
2. ~(S . R) > (C v D) /D

4.) 1. D > P /(I . D) > P

5.) 1. P v (Y . H)
2. (P v Y) >~ (H v C)
3. (P .~ C) > (K . X) /X v T

6.) 1. A = J
2. A v J
3. A > (J > W) /W

7.) 1. ~Q> (C . B)
2. ~T> (B . H)
3. ~(Q . T) /B

8.) 1. (U . P) >Q
2. ~ O > U
3. ~ P > O
4. ~ O . T /Q

9.) 1. (J>K) . (~O>~P)
2. (L > J) . (~M>~O)
3. ~K> (L v~ M)
4. ~K . G /~P

10.) 1. (F . M) > (S v T)
2. (~S v A) > F
3. (~S v B) > M
4. ~S . G /T

Okay, that's all the questions. Now here is the legend key:
/ separates what the conclusion is supposed to be.
. conjunction
v disjunction
> implication
= biconditional
~ negation

This is for an introductory to logic class. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) 1. (R v X) > (A > B)
2. ~ Q > ~ C
3. ~ C > Z
4. R .Y
5. Q v A /Z v B
I read that as:
1. (R v X) > (A > B)
2. (~ Q) > (~ C)
3. (~ C) > Z
4. R .Y
5. Q v A
C. Z v B
By my calculations, this argument is invalid. Counterexample: (R, Y, C, Q) are true and (Z, B, A) are false (X is true or false). Did you copy it correctly? How are you grouping negations?

Here are some hints for the next three to get you started.
2) Can you derive ~(P . ~M)?
3) Can you derive (~S v ~R)?
4) Do you have the rule: ((P . Q) > R) = (P > (Q > R))?

honestrosewater said:
I read that as:
1. (R v X) > (A > B)
2. (~ Q) > (~ C)
3. (~ C) > Z
4. R .Y
5. Q v A
C. Z v B
By my calculations, this argument is invalid. Counterexample: (R, Y, C, Q) are true and (Z, B, A) are false (X is true or false). Did you copy it correctly? How are you grouping negations?
Yes I did copy it correctly. This is directly from my teacher, too. I don't think he feels it's invalid. And, the ones that you put parentheses around, he didn't. I don't know if that matters or not. I really don't get anything about this class at all. As far as how am I grouping negations, I have no idea on that either. Thanks.

completely lost said:
Yes I did copy it correctly. This is directly from my teacher, too. I don't think he feels it's invalid.
Well, regardless of what he may feel, I checked it again, and it is invalid. Do you know how to check an argument for validity?
And, the ones that you put parentheses around, he didn't. I don't know if that matters or not. I really don't get anything about this class at all. As far as how am I grouping negations, I have no idea on that either. Thanks.
I added the parentheses to make clear what was being negated.
If you have no idea what you're doing, there isn't much I can do for you today. If you have a problem understanding something specific, I'll try to help. But we don't do people's homework for them here, so you'll have to put in some effort.

1. What are some good resources for practice problems?

There are many resources available for practice problems, including textbooks, online platforms, and study guides. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Quizlet, and textbooks from major publishers such as Pearson or McGraw-Hill.

2. How can I find practice problems specific to my subject or field of study?

You can find practice problems specific to your subject or field of study by searching online for study guides or textbooks that are tailored to your topic. You can also ask your professor or TA for recommended resources.

3. Are practice problems essential for studying?

Practice problems are a crucial part of studying for any subject. They allow you to apply the concepts you have learned and identify any areas where you may need more practice or clarification. Practice problems also help improve your problem-solving skills and prepare you for exams.

4. How often should I do practice problems?

The frequency of practice problems can vary depending on your study schedule and the difficulty of the subject. However, it is generally recommended to do practice problems regularly, at least a few times a week, to ensure you are consistently practicing and retaining the material.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular type of practice problem?

If you are having trouble with a specific type of practice problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and identify the areas where you are struggling. You can also seek help from a tutor, classmate, or professor for additional guidance and clarification.