1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Quick Help! - Centripetal Acceleration and Tension

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the centripetal force of an object that is being swung in a horizontal circle on a string above your head given the constant velocity of the object, the period, and the circumference of the circle. Hanging from the bottom of the string is another mass (50g).

2. Relevant equations

Fc = (mv^2)/T
    Tension = Fg = mg

3. The attempt at a solution

My difficulty is that you are not given the mass of the object in the circle, and therefore, I don't think I can use the mv^2/T formula to calculate the centripetal force of the object.

I know that the tension in the string from the hanging mass in vertical equilibrium is providing the centripetal force from the hanging weight. Would that mean that Fc = mg, or can I still use mv^2/T because the know the mass of the object that is hanging?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted