Considering a Minor in Physical Chemistry Instead of Math? Real Advice and Tips!

• Thread starter kaos86
  • Start date
In summary, the reason why the OP wants to change majors is because they feel that the physics and chemistry mix well. They want to minor in math, but going deeper into the Ph.D. path of a physicist covers all the math. They want to know if they should stay in stats or withdraw the class. Their advisor told them that the withdraw date is Nov. 5th and that they can withdraw the class now. If they decide to withdraw the class, they will not have any negative effect on their GPA.
kaos86
I'm thinking of minoring in physical chemistry instead of math. The reason why is because I believe chemistry and physics mix well. I wanted to minor in math, but going deeper into the Ph.D. path of a physicist covers all the math.

To get straight to the point, I want to withdraw intro to stats. I seemed to have no interest in the class because there's no visualization in the problems and I'm putting more effort to the other classes instead of this one. . I wanted to minor in math and I need stats under my belt. However, I just found out that calc. 2(the class I' am still in) replaces stats!

Should I stay in stats and just do "C" average in the class, or just withdraw the class and don't let my GPA get bashed by the "C" from stats.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I would not want to withdraw from stats. Basic stats is very good to know for a physicist. If you end up not going for a PhD, it's also a skill that employers might desire. Although I feel like I already expressed this opinion another thread. Personally I don't understand why more physics majors aren't required to take stats.

Phyisab**** said:
Personally I don't understand why more physics majors aren't required to take stats.

I just discovered that today by looking into catalogs from other universities. I asked my calc. 2 professor if I really need stats to minor in math and she said "not really, but it will look good on your transcript." Today, I'm deciding whether to withdraw basic stats or find some interest in this subject(I'm trying very hard to get interested in this class and its boring me to death).

Well for what it's worth I've found that stats is a very different type of thinking and much more abstract to me than physics. Just have to power through it.

If you stay, you might check out Jaynes's Probability Theory: The Logic of Science. I find it an inspiring look at how probability / stats illuminates deep questions in physics. It might help with your motivation (or at least take your mind off your troubles).

kaos86 said:
Should I stay in stats and just do "C" average in the class, or just withdraw the class and don't let my GPA get bashed by the "C" from stats.

Assuming you have one, have you talked to your academic advisor about this? You should first determine if there are any penalties associated with a 'Withdraw'- AFAIK, there's some sort of 'cutoff date' here that complicates things.

If there is no penalty for withdrawing, and you are legitimately concerned that your grade in Stats will negatively affect your GPA, it's fair to consider dropping the class and putting that time and effort into your other classes.

Andy Resnick said:
Assuming you have one, have you talked to your academic advisor about this? You should first determine if there are any penalties associated with a 'Withdraw'- AFAIK, there's some sort of 'cutoff date' here that complicates things.

If there is no penalty for withdrawing, and you are legitimately concerned that your grade in Stats will negatively affect your GPA, it's fair to consider dropping the class and putting that time and effort into your other classes.

I spoke with my advisor today. She said the withdraw date is Nov. 5th and that I can withdraw this class if it is not needed for my minor(which is not). I can withdraw the class now and have no effect on my GPA.

Sounds good- I think you have all the information you need, and the responses above should help you make an informed choice.

I've wondered why recently physics programs don't require a full-blown probability course. It's intimately related to thermal and quantum. At my university, they even have Statistics for the Sciences. Incidentally, I'm switching to math major/physics minor, so I'll probably be taking those two courses.

The 'standard' curriculum leaves out a lot more than probability. While I think the curriculum needs an overhaul/update, we must also recognize that ~120 credit hours is insufficient to sufficiently cover everything.

it seems like physics departments seem to skimp over formal math courses when requiring them. PDEs, complex analysis, Fourier analysis, linear algebra, probability, etc. I've noticed schools tend to try and teach JUST ENOUGH math in the physics courses to get by...

and @ the OP: if you really want a good stats background, intro to stats is probably too low a level to really be useful. most "real" stats classes are going to require backgrounds in calculus (and maybe analysis... not sure).
particularlly if you are any type science/engr major, you'll probably have to study stats are a higher level anyway...

1. What is the best way to get real advice?

The best way to get real advice is to seek out trusted and experienced individuals who have knowledge and expertise in the area you need advice on. This could be a mentor, a professional in the field, or someone you know personally who has experience with a similar situation.

2. How do I know if the advice I receive is genuine and reliable?

It's important to consider the source of the advice and their qualifications. Look for individuals who have a track record of success and expertise in the specific topic. It's also helpful to get multiple opinions and compare them to make an informed decision.

3. Can I trust advice given by strangers online?

While there are many knowledgeable and helpful individuals online, it's important to be cautious when seeking advice from strangers. Always do your own research and fact-checking before taking any advice from someone you don't know personally.

4. How can I give and receive constructive criticism when seeking advice?

When giving advice, it's important to be respectful and empathetic. Try to understand the person's perspective and offer solutions rather than criticism. When receiving advice, be open-minded and consider all perspectives before making a decision.

5. Is it okay to ask for advice on personal matters?

It is completely okay to ask for advice on personal matters. However, it's important to consider the sensitivity of the topic and only seek advice from individuals you trust and feel comfortable discussing personal matters with. It's also important to respect the privacy and boundaries of the person giving the advice.