Need Recommendation(s) for Calc Book(s)

• Thread starter WalterND14
  • Start date
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the student is a second-year physics major who is struggling with calculus, specifically in the areas of differential equations and resistive forces. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks or resources that can help them improve their skills. They also mention the importance of having a solution manual for practice. Suggestions include the textbook "Calculus" by James Stewart, Khan Academy for online videos and practice problems, and seeking help from professors or a tutor.
WalterND14
Hi,
I'm a second-year physics major, and I'm really being held back by a lack of expertise in calculus.
The problem I am having is that I took AP Calc A, B and C in high school during the latter half of my junior year and my entire senior year. I have now either forgotten what I learned (not as much the problem) or my teacher simply skipped or skimmed the material as it was not important for the AP. I got a 5 on the AP, and I was able to skip Calc 1 and 2 in college, which now in hindsight was a mistake.
The biggest weakness for me (I think) is differential equations. Specifically, with problems involving resistive forces. We also completely skipped hyperbolic trig functions. This semester, my lack of expertise in intermediate mechanics is hurting, and last semester it made E&M difficult as well.

I really need a textbook (or some sort of review book - maybe Schaum's?) that can help me become better at Calculus. I'm pretty solid on Calc 3 as I took that at my University. I need help more with single variable calculus, which would be the first two semesters of college calculus. Any recommendations would be really appreciated as I love physics but the math might cause me to fail out of the major.

Oh, and having the solution manual would really help so that I could check my answers and work.

Thanks!
-Walter

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Walter,

Thank you for sharing your concerns about your struggle with calculus. As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of a strong foundation in mathematics for success in the field of physics.

First and foremost, I want to assure you that it is never too late to brush up on your calculus skills. It is understandable that you may have forgotten some of the material from high school, especially since it has been a few years. However, with dedication and the right resources, you can definitely improve your understanding and proficiency in calculus.

In terms of textbooks, I would highly recommend "Calculus" by James Stewart. This textbook is widely used in universities and covers all the topics you mentioned, including differential equations and resistive forces. It also has a companion solution manual that you can purchase separately.

Another great resource is Khan Academy, which offers free online videos and practice problems for calculus. They have a specific section on differential equations and also cover hyperbolic trig functions.

Lastly, I would also suggest reaching out to your professors or a tutor for additional help and guidance. They can provide personalized assistance and help clarify any concepts that you may be struggling with.

I hope these suggestions help and wish you the best of luck in your studies. Remember, with hard work and determination, you can overcome any challenges in your academic journey. Keep pursuing your passion for physics and don't let the math discourage you.

What are the best calculus books for beginners?

The best calculus books for beginners are "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus for Dummies" by Mark Ryan. These books provide clear explanations and examples for those new to calculus.

Which calculus book is best for self-study?

"Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart is often recommended for self-study. It is comprehensive and includes many practice problems and exercises to reinforce understanding.

What is a good calculus book for advanced students?

"Advanced Calculus" by Patrick M. Fitzpatrick is a popular choice for advanced students. It covers more advanced topics and includes rigorous proofs and challenging exercises.

Are there any calculus books with interactive online resources?

Yes, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex both have online resources such as practice quizzes, interactive demonstrations, and video lectures.

What is the best calculus book for preparing for standardized tests?

For standardized tests such as the AP Calculus exam or the SAT Math Subject test, "5 Steps to a 5: AP Calculus AB 2020" by William Ma and "Barron's SAT Subject Test: Math Level 2" by Richard Ku are highly recommended.