1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need serious guidance

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone, thanks in advance for taking the time to read my giant wall of text. I am a junior in high school, and just recently got interested in college, and one in particular. I am not a good student, my gpa is almost 3.6, and i only have 1 AP class. I really want to go to USC (University of Southern California) because they have a good aeronautical engineering program, and i would love to live in southern california for a while. Oh yeah, and i should probably mention that i'm from northern california. Well, i need to know what i have to do to get into this school, as it is tough to do so. I got an 1800 on the sat, and am currently taking: Spanish 2, Algebra 2, Chem, Business, English 3, and Apush. On top of that, i am addicted to the computer so it is hard for me to focus some times because i find my self walking to the other room to see if i have gotten any instant messages while i have been in my room tolling away at my homework. Now that you have background, please tell me what i should take next year (senior year) and how i could be a better student and possibly get straight as, in order to get into USC. Thank you:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

j93

You could raise your GPA but the more important thing would be to raise your SAT. USC is one of those schools like Washington University in St Louis that is trying to raise its academic reputation/profile and both of these goals have made them really hungry for high SAT students especially since US News puts a lot of stock on average SAT in their rankings.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    Take many many many SAT practice tests. Then retake it, of course =P.
    Best of luck!

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4
    Imagine my confusion reading this thread, not knowing that they changed the maximum SAT score.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5

Well, if you're interested in going into aeronautical engineering, or engineering in general, I think you would want to take as much math and science as possible. If you can, I would take Physics next year, and if possible, double up on math. That way, you can start college taking Calculus.

As to getting straight As, the only way I know of is to work your tail off, and then study some more....

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook