1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need serious help with these enthalpy of neutralisation calculations

1. Mar 1, 2007 #1
    ok i keep reading that ideally they (neutralisation enthalpies) are meant to be around 58KJ

here is my problem:

im reacting 50cm3 of NaOH with 25cm3 of HCl

the HCl is 1 mole NaOH is also 1 mole.

my moles calculation is: (1x25)/1000 which gives me 0.025

the i do :

((mass x specific heat x change in temp)/moles)/1000

i get -25.4 which is no where near 58 ish...

same thing when i use nitric acid instead, i end up with 27.08. However when i use sulphuric acid i get a result of 52.416 (sulphuric acid is 0.5 molar)

so my question is, am i getting something wrong? im using the mass of the substance needed to neutralise the acid for mass (reading it off a graph) & im using 4.2 for specific heat

also is there any reason for why some are better at neutralising is it like to do with more H+ ions ?

i would really appreciate any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2007 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neutralization enthalpies are based on the net ionic equation for water

H+ (aq) + OH- (aq) ----> H2O (l)

that's why the enthalpies are fairly the same. The slight differences may pertain to the hydration interactions of the respective components (for instance, Na + and Cl-) with water.

4. Mar 3, 2007 #3
    thanks, =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?