Solve Block Sliding on Plane: Coeff of Friction, Drag Force

• Thread starter frenika
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks.In summary, a 64-lb block is released from the top of a plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. As the block slides down the plane, its coefficient of friction is 0.25, and it experiences a drag force due to air resistance equal to one-half its velocity in ft/sec.
frenika
Problem: A 64-lb block is released from the top of a plane inclined at 30 degrees to the horizontal. As the block slides down the plane, its coefficient of friction is 0.25, and it experiences a drag force due to air resistance equal to one-half is velocity in ft/sec. (a) Determine the equation for the velocity of the block. (b) Determine the equation for the displacement of the block, (c) Calculate the displacement and velocity of the block 5 sec after it is released. I need help setting up the equations and solving them. Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks to me like it should be in the "homework" section- and that you should show us what you have done on it yourself!

Calculate all the forces down the slope of the plane: there is a 64 pound force directly downward so the component of weight down the slope (draw the triangle) is
64 sin(30)= 32 pounds. The component of weight perpendicular to the slope is
64 cos(30)= 32 sqrt(3) pounds. You need to know that because the friction force on the block is 0.25 times that force (and, of course, is back up the slope). Finally, the air drag is (1/2)v (back up the slope).

The total force, down the slope, is 32- (0.25)(32)sqrt(3)- (1/2)v and that equals
m dv/dt (caution: m is mass N0T weight!)

I understand the formulas to use but I need help setting up the differential equation

It's very annoying when you post the same question in several forums.

it's not like you have to read every question that is posted, so who's fault is that

Loose the attitude. Besides, when two similar posts are made, many will try to figure out the difference, which means that duplicate posts make members loose more than just twice the time.

private message from frenika:
it's not like you have to read every message that is posted, so who's fault is that that you think it is annoying. If i wanted to i could post a message in every forum they have on this site

Suit yourself.

See how much help that gets you.

frenika,

If i wanted to i could post a message in every forum they have on this site

I'll refer you to the Posting Guidelines.

When posting a new topic, please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. If you are unsure, contact a mentor or the admin. Redundant topics are not allowed and are considered spam.

And I'll also refer you to the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825.

I would also like to say that if you are looking for someone to do your homework for you, then you have come to the wrong place.

Please, for your own sake, try your homework before you come here, and show us where you got stuck. Speaking for myself, I already know that I know how to do your problem. Me doing it for you accomplishes nothing.

So, post away--and show your work!

Last edited:

1. What is the coefficient of friction in a block sliding on a plane?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the Greek letter mu (μ) and can range from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less friction and higher values indicating more friction.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect block sliding on a plane?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the amount of force required to move a block on a plane. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance between the block and the surface, making it harder to slide the block. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction means less resistance and less force is needed to slide the block.

3. What is drag force and how does it impact block sliding on a plane?

Drag force is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through a fluid (such as air or water). In the context of block sliding on a plane, drag force can come from air resistance or friction between the block and the air. This force can slow down the block and make it more difficult to slide.

4. Can the coefficient of friction and drag force be calculated?

Yes, the coefficient of friction and drag force can be calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the specific scenario. For example, the coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the frictional force by the normal force, while drag force can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the velocity, density, and surface area of the object.

5. Are there any ways to reduce the effects of friction and drag force when sliding a block on a plane?

There are a few strategies that can help reduce the effects of friction and drag force when sliding a block on a plane. One approach is to use a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to reduce the coefficient of friction between the surfaces. Additionally, streamlining the shape of the block can help reduce drag force. Another option is to reduce the weight of the block, as a lighter object will experience less friction and drag force.