Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need set notation help.

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    Ok, I'm not very familiar with set notation. I was just wondering if the following is correct notation and means what I think:

{x[itex]\in[/itex]S : [itex]\exists[/itex]y[itex]\in[/itex]x, y[itex]\in[/itex]W}

S is a set of pairs of symbols (tuples of length 2 is the technical term I believe). W is a set of symbols.

What I want is the set of pairs in S that contain at least 1 symbol from set W.

Does my set builder notation correctly describe what I'm looking for? I don't necessarily have to use set builder notation; I just can't think of a way to describe it with unions, intersections, and quantifiers.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it is correct, however it may become slightly clearer if you explicitly write down the pairs:

[tex]\{ (x, y) \in S \mid x \in W \vee y \in W \}[/tex]

If you would like to omit the set builder notation, you could consider something like
    [tex](W \times X) \cup (X \times W)[/tex]
    where X is the set of all symbols (and [itex]W \subseteq X[/itex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook