1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Some Advice

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1

F.B

Hi, I really have to register for University in a bit a week or so and i need some advice. I was thinking of going in to the business field or mathematics field or both. I like math and business and i think i'm alright in both of those area. This is hard to explain, but i really want to do math more than business. But I think there are many careers involving math. So can anyone please offer some advice as to different careers i can do with math or business. Oh for business i was thinking of majoring in accounting so I would have that planned out. Its just that if i choose to take math i don't know what i can do after i get my degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

tmc

have you considered a double major in finance / math?

4. Dec 9, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One could do mathematics, economics and buisness.

Some economic models are fairly complex these days.

5. Dec 9, 2005 #4
    with a math degree the sky is really the limit. You are not limited to just one or two jobs when you get a math degree. You can apply math to so many fields now. Here are some jobs for a math degree with some business background, actuary, economist, financial engineer, independant insurance agent. Mathematical biology is hot, if you like biology. Computer science, if you like that stuff.
    If you take some chemistry any physics along with your math undergrad then you could study for the MCAT and go to med school, or mathematicians make great laweyrs too. The new federal reserve guy was an actuary, so you are not limited by majoring in math.

6. Dec 9, 2005 #5
  7. Dec 9, 2005 #6

F.B

I kind of want to stay away from the sciences, i could do physics and math but i rather not. I want to pure math or math and business. I was thinking of doing a double major but i cant do one at the universities in my area. So are there any other careers. I don't know if i said this but i was thinking of an actuary, i was also thinking of a math teacher but i don't like the idea of being in school for the rest of my life. So can anyone tell me anymore.

8. Dec 9, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Actuaries would use statistics, mathematics and statistics would seem a good program, in addition to business. I would think most state universities would have such programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?