1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some advice

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    I am 34 and professional software developer working working in the finance sector. I have been in IT for the last 10 years but my background is Physics, i have a 1st class honours in Physics and a masters degree in computational physics and i am contemplating doing a Phd in physics because its something i have always wanted to do. My maths is still pretty strong in terms of calculus, algebra, linears algegra, pde's etc. Over the last 12 months i have spent time brushing up mainly on my mathematics and i am finding that this is proving to be useful as it means when reviewing physics books i can focus on the physics. A few questions -

1. With so many years out of the academic world if i decide to apply for a Phd i am not sure what i can do in terms of academic references ?
    2. Seems there is quite a bit of doom and gloom in terms of research in Physics, am i mad thinking about doing a Phd ?
    3. I am from the UK but i would like to do a Phd in the US but not sure what schools i should apply to ? I would like to do a Phd in Condensed matter physics.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    David.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted