Advice Needed for High School Student Struggling with Math

• Thread starter Zhuhaolin
  • Start date
In summary, So I'm just an ordinary guy, 15, in high school.I find math to be a really hard subject, and I feel that I am starting to fail more and more...I have a remainder of two years until grade 12, but I am really starting to wonder whether I will be able to graduate. I am getting worried, and so are my parents.I find it hard to focus on something that I feel has absolutely no use to me. And no, I am definitely not going to be some math whizz, engineer, or architect.However, let's set all that aside for now.I have dreams, and I'm sure
Zhuhaolin
So I'm just an ordinary guy, 15, in high school.
I find math to be a really hard subject, and I feel that I am starting to fail more and more...
I have a remainder of two years until grade 12, but I am really starting to wonder whether I will be able to graduate. I am getting worried, and so are my parents.
I find it hard to focus on something that I feel has absolutely no use to me.
And no, I am definitely not going to be some math whizz, engineer, or architect.
However, let's set all that aside for now.

I have dreams, and I'm sure the majority of us do as well.
Having interests in government, politics, law, money/finance, my dream is to pursue something related to business (money manager, CEO, etc) or become lawyer.
My strongest subject is English.

Would I still be able to get into a good university?
Any advice?
What should I focus on, or work towards?

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
this country is already flooded with politicians and lawyers, will become more saturated in the future

on the other hand, engineering fields are going to be more prestigious (they already are) and going to be more sought after as time goes by

if you haven't realized yet, Americans are increasing forced to compete on the world stage with the best and brightest for jobs that required skills and expertises

sorry to disappoint you, but that's the reality

arabianights said:
if you haven't realized yet, Americans are increasing forced to compete on the world stage with the best and brightest for jobs that required skills and expertises

We have people from all over the world on this forum. I think there's a pretty good chance the person you're addressing isn't in America. :wink:

What is it about maths that you find so hard? I am studying maths at the moment, it's not the numbers that are tricky, it's the sequence of steps you have to take to get an answer that I struggle with. I can master how to divide fractions one day, but a week later I forget exactly HOW to divide fractions. It's the processes and how to remember them that get me, not the numbers themselves. In my opinion it's not the maths that's important in life in general, it's the skills it gives you. The ability to solve problems helps me a lot and I find I can think quicker and more efficiently. I hope this helps.

You, should of probably stated which country you are residing in, it probably would of gave you a more specific answer.

Anyways, if you are pursuing a career in something that is English or political science based, math courses wouldn't affect a University's decision to accept you. However, if you are planning to go into a business based program, then you better buckle down and pick up the pace. I am basing this on the Ontario University system and the fact that when an Ontario University makes a decision, they base that decision on your highest grade 12 courses and usually a business program will pay attention to your math courses. However, you did not mention where you are living, so I do not know what the situation is in the country/state you live in. The best thing you can do is to make an appointment with a guidance counselor and discuss your plan with him/her.

Another word of advice, do not let your poor performance discourage you from ultimate goal in life. If you are getting a low mark in something, don't just give up. Low marks are not a bad thing, even though everyone treats them that way. Low marks are there inform you that you need to either work harder or to change your study habits.

Also, I don't mean to sound conceded in any way, but here is a motivational story for you. Back in grade 11, I had this goal to go into physics. Entering grade 12, crappy things happened and I wasn't working as hard as I should have been. I ended up failing physics once, dropping out the second time and finally achieving a high 70 the third time. I kept at it though, and now I am in my third year of physics.

Just keep at it and don't give up.

Based on the name "Zhuhaolin", I assume the OP is from China. This post can be disregarded if that assumption is incorrect.

Education in China is super competitive. If you do not do well on the math portion of your gaokao (university entrance exam), you will have little chance of getting into a good university. This is based on my friends' and students' experiences. But if you live in certain areas, or you are from an ethnic minority, or sometimes if you have a special skill, you can get points added to your gaokao. This will help a lot. Your English scores should help to boost your overall score on the test.

If you really don't think you can score into a university you want, maybe you can look outside of China. I had a few students who were able to go to university in Singapore. Since English is your best subject, you should consider this. They generally pay for your education in exchange for several years of work after graduation.

You might also try going to university in the US or Canada. This is a bit more difficult unless you find the right program or don't have connections. Many language schools have programs to get Chinese students into foreign universities. I can put you in touch with some people if you're interested.

Don't be discouraged by how difficult things seem now. You have many options. Most importantly, you have a dream!

Thanks for the replies!

I apologize for providing insufficient information, I did not know that the country I live in would have such an influence!
Yes you are right adaptation, but I am going to be ending up in the US or Canada either way, I am a Canadian citizen.

If I do apply for university in the near future, what else do they look at, other than my GPA and what has been mentioned? What would be important?

1. How can I improve my grades in math?

There are several ways you can improve your grades in math. First, make sure you attend all of your classes and pay attention during lectures. Second, practice regularly by completing homework assignments and extra practice problems. Third, seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with certain concepts. Finally, don't get discouraged and keep a positive attitude towards math.

2. What should I do if I don't understand a concept in math?

If you don't understand a concept in math, don't be afraid to ask for help. Talk to your teacher and ask for clarification or additional examples. You can also seek help from classmates or a tutor. It's important to address any confusion as soon as possible so you don't fall behind in the subject.

3. How can I stay motivated to study math?

One way to stay motivated to study math is to set specific, achievable goals for yourself. This could be improving your grade by a certain percentage or mastering a particular concept. Additionally, try to find ways to make math more interesting and relevant to your life. You can also reward yourself for reaching your goals to stay motivated.

4. What resources are available for students struggling with math?

There are many resources available for students struggling with math. Your school likely has a math tutor or study group available. Additionally, there are many online resources such as Khan Academy, which offers free math tutorials and practice problems. Your teacher may also have additional resources or tips for improving in math.

5. How can I balance studying for math with my other classes?

Balancing your studies for math with your other classes can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your time. Set aside specific times for studying math and stick to a schedule. Additionally, try to find ways to incorporate math into your other classes or study sessions. For example, you can use math concepts to solve problems in science or history. It's also important to take breaks and not overload yourself with too much studying at once.