1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Some Advise

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    It is about time to take my major classes now.
    And I can choose different path for my major.

My Maths department offer 3 options and 4 emphasis

options are
    pure Maths
    applied Maths

emphasis are
    Actuarial science (only with stat)
    Electrical Engineering (applied maths or stat)
    Computer Science (definitely not going) (stat or applied maths)
    Management (maths, applied maths or stat)

assume double option or double emphasis is improbable.

What option and emphasis should I choose. Any path shall be for job opportunity and graduate study, and personal interest shall be neglect.

Any advise will be appriciated.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you'll go into Graduate School studying in an area you don't personally enjoy?
  4. Dec 9, 2005 #3
    well what i personally dont like is computer science, which is eliminated from the list and i personally enjoy Maths.... So I want to know what direction should i go to feed my family.
  5. Dec 10, 2005 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Personally, your best bet is in fact, in my opinion.

Option - Statistics
    Emphasis - Computer Science

Statistics will open plenty of doors, even those of Actuarial Science. Also, Computer Science will open plenty of doors as well.

If I had to pick, neglecting personal interest, that's what I would choose.

Note: I'm not into Computer Science either, but I am taking some programming classes. It's probably one of the most useful things ever, especially for mathematicians.
  6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    Thank you!!
    how is the school in canada for math major???
    i have always wanted to go to canada, but i dont know if i i should get my ultimate degree in US or in Canada's university.
  7. Dec 12, 2005 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My school isn't good for math majors, or probably for any degree. I usually tell people to runaway from my school.

I'd recommend the University of Waterloo, since they are the strongest in the country in mathematics, and they also have the largest math faculty in the world. :surprised
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?