Choosing a Maths Major: 3 Options & 4 Emphasis

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary: My school isn't good for math majors, or probably for any degree. I usually tell people to runaway from my school.
leon1127
It is about time to take my major classes now.
And I can choose different path for my major.

My Maths department offer 3 options and 4 emphasis

options are
pure Maths
applied Maths
Statistics

emphasis are
Actuarial science (only with stat)
Electrical Engineering (applied maths or stat)
Computer Science (definitely not going) (stat or applied maths)
Management (maths, applied maths or stat)

assume double option or double emphasis is improbable.

What option and emphasis should I choose. Any path shall be for job opportunity and graduate study, and personal interest shall be neglect.

Any advise will be appriciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
leon1127 said:
It is about time to take my major classes now.
And I can choose different path for my major.
My Maths department offer 3 options and 4 emphasis
options are
pure Maths
applied Maths
Statistics
emphasis are
Actuarial science
Electrical Engineering
Computer Science (definitely not going)
Management
assume double option or double emphasis is improbable.
What option and emphasis should I choose. Any path shall be for job opportunity and graduate study, and personal interest shall be neglect.
Any advise will be appriciated.

So you'll go into Graduate School studying in an area you don't personally enjoy?

JasonRox said:
So you'll go into Graduate School studying in an area you don't personally enjoy?

well what i personally don't like is computer science, which is eliminated from the list and i personally enjoy Maths... So I want to know what direction should i go to feed my family.

leon1127 said:
well what i personally don't like is computer science, which is eliminated from the list and i personally enjoy Maths... So I want to know what direction should i go to feed my family.

Personally, your best bet is in fact, in my opinion.

Option - Statistics
Emphasis - Computer Science

Statistics will open plenty of doors, even those of Actuarial Science. Also, Computer Science will open plenty of doors as well.

If I had to pick, neglecting personal interest, that's what I would choose.

Note: I'm not into Computer Science either, but I am taking some programming classes. It's probably one of the most useful things ever, especially for mathematicians.

JasonRox said:
Personally, your best bet is in fact, in my opinion.
Option - Statistics
Emphasis - Computer Science
Statistics will open plenty of doors, even those of Actuarial Science. Also, Computer Science will open plenty of doors as well.
If I had to pick, neglecting personal interest, that's what I would choose.
Note: I'm not into Computer Science either, but I am taking some programming classes. It's probably one of the most useful things ever, especially for mathematicians.
Thank you!
how is the school in Canada for math major?
i have always wanted to go to Canada, but i don't know if i i should get my ultimate degree in US or in Canada's university.

leon1127 said:
Thank you!
how is the school in Canada for math major?
i have always wanted to go to Canada, but i don't know if i i should get my ultimate degree in US or in Canada's university.

My school isn't good for math majors, or probably for any degree. I usually tell people to runaway from my school.

I'd recommend the University of Waterloo, since they are the strongest in the country in mathematics, and they also have the largest math faculty in the world.

1. What are the three options for a math major?

The three options for a math major are pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics. Pure mathematics focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and theories, while applied mathematics applies these concepts to real-world problems. Statistics involves the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data.

2. What is the difference between a pure mathematics and applied mathematics major?

The main difference between a pure mathematics and applied mathematics major is the focus of their studies. Pure mathematics majors primarily study abstract concepts and theories, while applied mathematics majors use these concepts to solve practical problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

3. What are the four areas of emphasis within a math major?

The four areas of emphasis within a math major are algebra and number theory, analysis and differential equations, geometry and topology, and probability and statistics. These areas allow students to specialize in a specific subfield of mathematics and develop their skills and knowledge in that area.

4. How should I choose which math major and emphasis to pursue?

When choosing a math major and emphasis, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you enjoy abstract thinking and theoretical concepts, a pure mathematics major may be a good fit. If you prefer applying math to real-world problems, an applied mathematics major may be a better choice. Additionally, consider the job opportunities and potential salary for each major and emphasis to align with your career goals.

5. Are there any recommended courses or prerequisites for a math major?

While specific requirements may vary by university, it is generally recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus before pursuing a math major. Additionally, taking courses in computer science and statistics can be beneficial for both applied mathematics and statistics majors. It is also important to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.