Calculate Absorber Thickness: 4.1 x 4.2 Inch Paper Weighing 36 Grams

• Thread starter vvbandit
  • Start date
In summary, the person needs help understanding basic concepts in their field of study and has already sought help from colleagues and professors. They are struggling with understanding fundamental principles and theories, particularly in the mathematical or technical aspects. They are looking for resources, explanations, or examples to assist them in better understanding the basics.
vvbandit
Heres the question, a piece of paper is 4.1 inch by 4.2 inch and weighs 36grams(it was a typo in the book it should be .36, but I am supposed to go with 36.) The question wants the absorber thickness, which is the density*distance in grams/centimeters^2

Physics news on Phys.org
So what have you done and what is the main problem?

The Bob (2004 ©)

To calculate the absorber thickness, we first need to convert the measurements of the paper to centimeters. 4.1 inches is equivalent to 10.41 centimeters and 4.2 inches is equivalent to 10.67 centimeters.

Next, we need to convert the weight of the paper from grams to grams/centimeters^2. This can be done by dividing the weight (36 grams) by the area of the paper (10.41 cm x 10.67 cm = 110.9627 cm^2). This gives us a weight per unit area of approximately 0.325 grams/centimeters^2.

Finally, we can calculate the absorber thickness by dividing the weight per unit area by the density of the paper. The density of paper can vary, but for this calculation, we will assume a density of 1 gram/centimeter^3. Thus, the absorber thickness would be 0.325 grams/centimeters^2 divided by 1 gram/centimeter^3, which gives us a thickness of 0.325 centimeters.

In summary, the absorber thickness for a piece of paper measuring 4.1 inches by 4.2 inches and weighing 36 grams would be approximately 0.325 centimeters. However, it is important to note that this calculation is based on assumptions and the actual density of the paper may vary, resulting in a slightly different thickness.

1. What do you need help with specifically?

I need some basic help with understanding a concept or process in my field of study.

2. Have you tried seeking help from your colleagues or professors?

Yes, I have reached out to my colleagues and professors for help, but I am still struggling to understand the basics.

3. Can you provide more details about the topic you need help with?

Of course, I am specifically struggling with understanding the fundamental principles and theories related to my research topic.

4. How can I assist you in understanding the basics?

I would appreciate any resources, explanations, or examples that can help me better understand the basics of my field of study.

5. Are there any specific areas within the basics that you need help with?

Yes, I am particularly having trouble grasping the mathematical or technical aspects of the basics in my field of study.