1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some career help!

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    Hi!

I am from Pakistan and recently came to the United States. A short history, I did my high school in 2007 in Computer Science and the joined a flying school and got my pilot license. But due to the crisis in an Aviation industry in my country I couldn't continue my career and had to wait for 4 years. Now, in the beginning of this year I came to the U.S. with an aim to be a successful person. I am taking 16 credit hours and having an A grade in all of the courses. I am currently in a developmental course because of a gap and difference in the education system of my country and in US. I also found that I am good in Math and bad in Biology, but for other subjects like Chemistry, Physics, etc; I don't know because all I have this semester is English, Math, Psychology (contains most parts of Biology), and goal setting course. I am registered here for a Business degree. But for next semester I am getting a chance to change my major if I want to. So I am just curious to know which one would be better for me. After giving up the previous career plan it's really hard to plan anything new.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2
    First, as a private pilot, first licensed in 1988, I can testify first hand to the problems with the aviation industry. For the most part the aviation industry offers very little in the way of steady careers. For those who don't mind changing careers frequently, it's not a bad choice. But most people are looking for a bit more stability in their lives. I chose to pursue aviation as a hobby. I haven't regretted that decision.

Second, don't expect others to make good choices for you regarding what you want to study. If you're looking for money, a business degree might not be a bad start. However, you haven't really given us much information as to why you might not want to be in the business program or what alternatives you're seeking.

I mean, I have three decades of experience as an engineer. I have seen a lot. I still enjoy it after all these years. But I'm not you. Others have left careers like mine for greener pastures. And they seem quite happy too. For more information see my blog on pf.

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3
    Thank you so much!

The post at your blog is really well written, and I liked it.
    Well, I want to earn money, but by that money I want to help those who are in need, and just for myself only. It's something like making projects and thinking more about people. Second, I have an interest in weather and space because of aviation history. So, I am just bit confused either to go for Business or some Space/Weather studies.

5. Apr 29, 2014 #4
    You're thinking about goals now. Good.

Your business degree is a generic starting point. You could use it to leverage your aviation education and perhaps focus on aviation oriented weather services. You could also branch out toward space weather studies, such as solar weather. If you haven't seen the site spaceweather.com, I recommend it as an introductory starting point. If any of that fascinates you, you might want to look at further studies about heliophysics.

That's just a start. Again, you need to read this stuff yourself and ask yourself if you might like to build a career around this sort of thing. This is about you, not me, not your parents, not your friends, YOU!

6. May 2, 2014 #5
    Heliophysics looks amazing to me, and I never heard of that before. I looked at Wikipedia and NASA to find about that field in more depth, and it looks pretty interesting.
    Just a quick question, what if I continue with Mathematics (Bachelors, Master, & Ph.D), how good is that?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook