1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some diffential equation help

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    ok, i am having a bit of trouble with this equation.
    The question in the book is i need to find the maximum current(I) in an LR circuit, with L=10 Henry, and the Resistor of 1 ohm, and the time that it occurs. It also states that the emf E is given by E(t) = 5exp(-.05t) with the initial condition that the current (I) at time t=0 is 0
    ok , i know that L(dI/dt) + IR = E, and i simplified it down to 10I' + (1/10)I = 5exp(-.05t). i also know that this equation is not separable, so i need to find an integrating factor, but unfortunately, my teacher was very vague about how to find and use the integrating factor.
    I know that the integrating factor comes from the first order general equation x'(t) = a(t)x(t)+f(t), and also i know that the integrating factor u is Exp(integral(a(t)dt)). so in this case, am i right to say that the integrating factor is exp(-t)?
    finally, i am totally lost when it comes to actually using the integrating factor. any help would be greatly appreciated
    never mind, i figured it out!
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?