1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some expertice on rotational motion

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    Q) a 250kg roller coaster travels on along track as shown*** at point A and B the coaster is traveling along circular paths. the speed at point A is 20m/s what is the max speed the coaster can have at B and still remain on the track.
    *** ill do my best to describe this track....basically looks like one half circle the bottom half, meaning concave up, with point A at the bottom, Radius = 10m....then that half circle is attached to another. bigger half circle but this time the upper half, meaning concave down, with point B on top. Radius equals 15m....imagine drawing an S on a paper then turning it 90 degrees to the left, thats what it looks like... ok so i had to find the force of n at point A,,, i got that part, but now, it wants to know max speed at point B, so i thinks to myself this...
    (m)(Ac)= normal force + mg at point B

so 250 * ((V)^2)/15 = normal force + 250(9.8)

how do i calculate n??? i did try working backwards...using the velocity at point A and trying to find speed where the 2 half circles meet, then trying to find velocity at point B....not sure if thats how to do this problem, but if it is, then i also need help finding the velocity for point B... any help is greatly appriciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2
    FALSE ALARM..... i just busted the MEi +Wnc= MEf equation on this mofo and got my velocity at point B, man this was a tricky problem.....sorry to spam the boards...........................IM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?