Need some good books on these subjects (Mech)

• Thread starter nanunath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: For Mechanics of Materials, I absolutely loved "Principles of Materials Science" by T.W. Richards.For Mechanics of Materials, I absolutely loved "Principles of Materials Science" by T.W. Richards.
nanunath
Hi..I'm a mechanical engg student[Final year]
I was earlier advised by some members of this forum to read some books on HT,FM,TD ...I read them..and was really impressed with those books...
I need help once again..I need you guys out there to again tell me the names of the best books for the following subjects.[I recommend 3 best books on each of these subject..in your view]..thats all..thanks in advance..:)

Here are the subjects:
1] Engg. Maths
2] Finite element method
3] Mechanics of Materials
4] Engg. Mechanics
5] Numerical methods in Mechanical engg.
6] Theory of Machines
7] Dynamics of Machines
8] Fortran for Mechnical Enggs.[1 book should do..for this topic only..I guess]
Thats all...

Thanks...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Guys..whats the problem...not a single reply??Why?

I don't expect everyone to mention 3 books compulsory for each of the subjects..its a great thing for me even if you tell a single good book on any subject listed out there .. I mentioned the list so that different people would pick up different subjects [3 books..as different people find different books good over the other]...according to their choice..

Plz do help me if you can..it really matters to me at this point of time..I hope you understand...
I just want you all to share out your experiences..thats it...
Thanks..

well my friend you will find very interisting books on the internet for all branches of science as pdf files and word also for free just write on your google search bar fluid mechanics .pdf and see the results

Hi ... thanks for replying...
but in the above post I didn't mean...I am looking for free books...
I'm ready to buy those books...
I just want you people out there to suggest names of good books on the above topics...

Plz do help...

I don't know what wrong...
truly sperakin ..I've left hopes now...:grumpy:

Hey d same thing happened to me too...

Hi. For my graduation i read the following books. Believe me those were the best i could find.
Mechanics of Materials - S.P. Timoshenko, egor popov
HT & THERMO - Cengel (very good books)
Engg. Mechanics - schaums outline series of engg. mechanics, I.B Prasad.
Theory of Machines - J.E Shigley
Engg. Maths - P.N. Wartikar (PVG publications)
Mech. Design - V.B. Bhandari, J.E Shigley, Norton
FM - Dr. A.K. Jain.

Last edited:
Mechanics of materials: Hibbeler
Engg Math and Finite element Method: Kreyzig
Dynamis of Machine: Holowenko
Theory of Machines : Shigley

Hi. For my graduation i read the following books. Believe me those were the best i could find.
Mechanics of Materials - S.P. Timoshenko, egor popov
HT & THERMO - Cengel (very good books)
Engg. Mechanics - schaums outline series of engg. mechanics, I.B Prasad.
Theory of Machines - J.E Shigley
Engg. Maths - P.N. Wartikar (PVG publications)
Mech. Design - V.B. Bhandari, J.E Shigley, Norton
FM - Dr. A.K. Jain.
&
Mechanics of materials: Hibbeler
Engg Math and Finite element Method: Kreyzig
Dynamis of Machine: Holowenko
Theory of Machines : Shigley

Ya..thanks so much...:)

For Engineering maths, I use K.A Stroud. One of the best books I've ever bought

Applied Mechanics of Materials:Joseph Edward Shigley

Jones1987 said:
For Engineering maths, I use K.A Stroud. One of the best books I've ever bought

Applied Mechanics of Materials:Joseph Edward Shigley

Thanks a lot...:)

JE Shigley's "Mechanical Engineering Design" occupies a prominent place on my bookshelf. Learned a ton from this book that I use on a daily basis at work.

For Eng. Math, I used Stewart for Calc. Don't remember who wrote my Diff Eq book.

Dynamics: if you find a good book, let me know, because everyone I've read has confused the heck out of me.

1. What are some good introductory books on mechanical engineering?

Some good introductory books on mechanical engineering include "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran, Howard N. Shapiro, Daisie D. Boettner, and Margaret B. Bailey, "Mechanical Engineering: Principles and Practice" by Michael R. Lindeburg, and "Introduction to Mechanical Engineering" by Jonathan Wickert and Kemper Lewis.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on mechanical design?

Yes, there are several books specifically focused on mechanical design, such as "Mechanical Design" by Richard G. Budynas and J. Keith Nisbett, "Machine Design" by Robert L. Norton, and "Design of Machinery" by Robert L. Norton.

3. What are some recommended books on fluid mechanics for mechanical engineering?

Recommended books on fluid mechanics for mechanical engineering include "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, Theodore H. Okiishi, and Wade W. Huebsch, "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by David A. Chin, and "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White.

4. Are there any books that cover both mechanical engineering and materials science?

Yes, there are books that cover both mechanical engineering and materials science, such as "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch, "Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers" by James F. Shackelford, and "Materials Selection in Mechanical Design" by Michael F. Ashby.

5. Can you recommend any books on control systems for mechanical engineers?

Some recommended books on control systems for mechanical engineers include "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise, "Modern Control Systems" by Richard C. Dorf and Robert H. Bishop, and "Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems" by Gene F. Franklin, J. David Powell, and Abbas Emami-Naeini.